SC upholds death penalty of dacoit
New Delhi: Holding that the convict was a
menace to the society with no consideration for human lives,
the Supreme Court has upheld the death sentence of a dacoit
who murdered five members of a family in Chhattisgarh.
"Five members of a family including two minor children
and the driver were ruthlessly killed by the use of a knife,
an axe and an iron rod and with the help of four others.
"The crime was obviously committed after pre-meditation
with absolutely no consideration for human lives and for
money. Even though the appellant was young, his criminal
propensities are beyond reform and he is a menace to the
society," the apex court said.
A bench of justices AK Patnaik and Swatanter Kumar
passed the judgement dismissing the appeal of Sonu Sardar, a
member of a dacoit gang which killed five members of the
family in the state`s Baikunthpur district on November 26,
The victims--Shamim, Asgar, Ruksana Bibi, Yakub and
Kumari Rana--were done to death with knives, axe and iron rods
after bolting the house door from inside to prevent their
The session court had awarded death sentence to Sonu and
the state high court had upheld the sentence on the ground
that the murders were brutal, grotesque, diabolical, revolting
and dastardly, which indicated the criminality of the
perpetrators of the crime.
Dismissing the appeal, Justice Patnaik, writing the
judgement, said, "The prosecution has, in our considered
opinion, proved beyond reasonable doubt that the appellant
participated in the offence of dacoity and murder and has been
rightly convicted for the offence under Section 396 IPC."
The bench said the trial court and the high court were,
therefore, right in coming to the conclusion that this is one
of those rarest of rare cases in which death sentence is the
"In the result, we find no merit in these appeals and we
sustain the conviction of the appellant as well as the
sentence of death under Section 396 IPC, and dismiss the
appeals," the apex court said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Wife catches husband with his girlfriend at Goa Airport
- Shiv Sena announces award of 2 lakh for Hindu families with 5 kids
- Sheena Bora murder: DNA sample to reveal the truth
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: There are no shortcuts to success, says Dr Chandra
- 'Mann ki Baat': Will implement 13 new pointers to Land Bill from today itself, says PM Modi
- Know box-office report of Saif-Katrina's 'Phantom'
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna, driver taken to Raigad to recreate crime scene
- Wife catches husband along with his girlfriend at Goa airport, video goes viral – Watch
- Bihar polls 2015: Lalu pacifies 'upset' Mulayam ahead of Mahagatbandhan rally, offers 5 seats to SP
- Sheena murder case: Villager helps locate spot where body was buried