School, college girls, even old ladies not safe in Delhi: Court
New Delhi: "School and college going girls
and even old ladies are not safe in Delhi," a court here said
while awarding 10 years imprisonment to a man for raping an
adivasi girl in the campus of Delhi University on the day of
Holi last year.
"The offences against women involving sexual harassment
are increasing day by day. School and college going girls and
even old ladies are not safe in Delhi. A person, convicted of
a sexual offence against a woman, should be dealt with sternly
and does not deserve any leniency," said Additional Sessions
Judge Bimla Kumari.
Vijender Kumar alias Jugnu (29), who was an employee
of Indraprastha College for Women, had raped the girl from
Jharkhand who was staying with her relatives at the servant
quarters of the college.
The man had first contended that he was being falsely
implicated and the college management was harassing him to get
the servant quarters vacated.
After being convicted, the man pleaded for lesser
punishment saying he is the only earning member in his family
which includes his wife, a less than one-year-old son and his
father who is a retired employee and a heart patient.
The court declined his plea and said crime against women
involving sexual harassment must be dealt with sternly to
contain the rising number of crimes committed against women.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Exclusive chat with Ranchi's visually challenged singer Tumpa Kumari
- DNA: Growing Russia-China ties a concern for India
- Kailash Vijayvargiya on Akshay Singh's death: Is a journalist bigger than me?
- Woman set ablaze in UP, Akhilesh orders magisterial probe
- Waterlogging, traffic jams in Delhi after rains
- Shahid Kapoor-Mira Rajput wedding: Check out their first picture as a couple!
- Shahid Kapoor marriage: 500 guests have been invited for the wedding, says card designer
- Vyapam scam: After over 45 deaths, can Shivraj Singh Chouhan resist CBI probe?
- No bomb found on Turkish Airlines flight which made emergency landing in Delhi
- Vyapam scam: Congress accuses MP CM of 'misleading' people, demands his resignation