School student crushed under speeding DTC bus, driver held
New Delhi: A 14-year-old school student was crushed to death on Tuesday by a speeding DTC bus in South-East Delhi, triggering violent protests in the area with students damaging a number of buses, police said.
The deceased has been identified as Harish Sagar, a student of Class-IX of a government school in Tughlakabad Extension, they said.
The bus driver, identified as Zuber Khan (30), has been arrested, police said.
"We received a PCR call at around 1 PM. The incident took place when Sagar was crossing the road at RD Marg near MB Road for going to his evening school. He was immediately rushed to a nearby hospital where he was declared brought dead. Following the incident, the crowd got violent and broke glasses of 16 buses," DCP (South East) P Karunakaran said.
According to eyewitnesses, soon after the mishap, a large number of students gathered at the site of the accident and pelted stones at the bus. Some of them also tried to torch the DTC buses but police prevailed upon them and controlled the situation.
The protesters were demanding strict action against the bus driver.
"The situation is under control, appropriate legal action is being taken," said a police official.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Watch video: The epic battle between 'Machli' tigress and a 14-foot-long crocodile!
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- India, Bangladesh swap border enclaves, settle historic dispute; people rejoice
- 'Remembering Dr APJ Abdul Kalam' - President Pranab Mukherjee's photo tribute on Twitter