School student crushed under speeding DTC bus, driver held
New Delhi: A 14-year-old school student was crushed to death on Tuesday by a speeding DTC bus in South-East Delhi, triggering violent protests in the area with students damaging a number of buses, police said.
The deceased has been identified as Harish Sagar, a student of Class-IX of a government school in Tughlakabad Extension, they said.
The bus driver, identified as Zuber Khan (30), has been arrested, police said.
"We received a PCR call at around 1 PM. The incident took place when Sagar was crossing the road at RD Marg near MB Road for going to his evening school. He was immediately rushed to a nearby hospital where he was declared brought dead. Following the incident, the crowd got violent and broke glasses of 16 buses," DCP (South East) P Karunakaran said.
According to eyewitnesses, soon after the mishap, a large number of students gathered at the site of the accident and pelted stones at the bus. Some of them also tried to torch the DTC buses but police prevailed upon them and controlled the situation.
The protesters were demanding strict action against the bus driver.
"The situation is under control, appropriate legal action is being taken," said a police official.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- Pierce Brosnan 'deeply shocked and saddened' because of Pan Masala brand ad
- Sushant Singh Rajput’s former girlfriend Ankita Lokhande’s Karva Chauth photos will surprise you