School to pay fine for taking money to provide TC
New Delhi: A prominent public school in the city has been directed by a consumer forum to pay Rs 33,650 as compensation to a student for charging money to provide a transfer certificate (TC) even though he had not sought admission nor attended any class after completing class X from there.
The demand made by Delhi Public School, Mathura Road, for deposit of Rs 18,650 to provide the certificate was held "unjustified" by the New Delhi District Consumer Disputes Redressal Forum.
The forum noted that the school has failed to explain why it demanded deposit of the amount when the student had decided not to continue studying there after class X by not taking admission in class XI nor attending a single class.
"Opposite party (DPS, Mathura Road) has failed to explain the deposits demanded, when student did not attend any class in class XI, nor took admission in class XI. We hold it as an unjustified deposit for issuing a school leaving certificate only.
"Holding opposite party guilty of deficiency we direct it to return Rs 18,650 and award compensation of Rs 15,000...," a bench presided by C K Chaturvedi said.
The forum`s order came on the complaint filed by the student`s father, Sarfaraz Hussain, who had said that as his son did not get science stream in the school, they had decided to admit him elsewhere and had sought a transfer certificate.
The school had informed the student that a transfer certificate would be provided on deposit of Rs 18,650 which was duly paid, Hussain claimed.
However, despite receiving the amount and several visits by the student`s parents, the school had not provided the certificate nor did it refund the money, Hussain had alleged in his complaint.
The order was passed ex-parte as no one had appeared on behalf of the school despite issuance of a notice from the forum.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Is Pakistan terrified of Yogi Adityanath as Uttar Pradesh CM?
- Should Ram Mandir issue be resolved through mutual understanding?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister
- Yogi Adityanath took THESE 20 big actions in just 75 hours after becoming UP CM