Science museum to be named after Delhi braveheart
New Delhi: The main opposition BJP, which has demanded speedy justice for the December 16 gang-rape and murder victim, has decided to name a science museum proposed in South Delhi after her.
Addressing a joint press conference with the party functionaries on Tuesday, state BJP president Vijendra Gupta said, “We have decided to name a science centre proposed in South Delhi after the Delhi braveheart as a mark of respect to her.”
Gupta further informed that a formal announcement in this regard will be made by the Delhi Municipal Corporation in the presence of Delhi Mayor Savita Gupta later today.
The state BJP chief also said that all formalities in this regard have been completed and a proposal to this effect was also brought in a meeting of the Naming Committee of the South Delhi Corporation.
Gupta also informed reporters that an affidavit from the Delhi braveheart’s family stating that they have no objection to any institution or establishment being named after their daughter has also been obtained.
“All legal formalities to name the deceased girl have been taken care of. A title of ‘braveheart’ will be added before the girl’s name,” a BJP source said.
The decision to name the proposed South Delhi science centre after the 23-year-old paramedical student was taken shortly after Gupta’s visit to her family in UP’s Ballia.
During his Ballia visit, Gupta had announced to honour the girl by naming one of the municipal institutions after her. The Delhi BJP president had also provided monetary assistance to the family.
Sources claim that the December 16 gang-rape victim’s family too have confirmed the development, saying the BJP leaders had approached them seeking permission to which they had no objection.
However, senior leaders thought it proper to name a new institution after the girl, rather than rename an existing one.
Two proposed science museums - one each at RK Puram and Janakpuri - are major points of the SDMC Budget for the year 2013-14.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Watch: How Russian special forces Spetsnaz will end terror of ISIS
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- Two J&K MLAs clash over beef party issue in Legislative Assembly
- Watch: Man beheads wife; roams on streets with severed head in Pune
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!
- FIR against Asaduddin Owaisi for posting objectionable picture of Yogi Adityanath on Facebook
- Man beheads wife over suspicion of illicit relationship, walks on road with her head
- Bihar has to choose between 'jungle raj' and 'vikas Raj': Narendra Modi
- Shocking! Saudi employer chops off Indian maid's hands