Scribe moves HC against order on charge under OS Act
New Delhi: The Delhi High Court on Wednesday sought CBI`s reply to a journalist`s plea against framing of charges by a trial court against him for allegedly hatching a criminal conspiracy with government officials to obtain secret papers in 2000.
Justice A K Pathak sought CBI`s reply by February 12, 2013 on a plea by news portal tehelka.Com`s former Editor (Investigations) Aniruddh Bahal against a fast track court`s order of October 16 that framed charges against him and others under the Official Secret (OS) Act.
Filing the petition through counsel Pramod Dubey, Bahal said the trial court has failed to consider the fact that there is no material to frame charges against him under various sections of the OS Act and the IPC for conspiracy.
"The judge failed to appreciate that there is no material on record to provide any ground - let alone sufficient or reasonable grounds, for framing charge against the petitioner.
"The order framing charges against the petitioner (Bahal) is bad in law, improper and deserves to be set aside," Bahal`s plea said.
The CBI has filed charge sheet against two Tehelka reporters, Mathew Samuel and Bahal, two home ministry officials, Thomas Mathew and Neeraj Kumar and Buffalo networks, which owned the website, for alleged violation of the Official Secretes At.
According to CBI, Kumar, Mathew, Bahal and Samuel entered into a criminal conspiracy to obtain secret documents, which were exhibited on tehelka.Com on October 9, 2000.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi