Secret snooping unit case may see elaborate probe
New Delhi: A secret snooping unit created by the then Army Chief Gen V K Singh could be in for an elaborate probe following a preliminary inquiry by the force indicating certain irregularities in its functioning.
Sources said the Army is of the view that further probe may be required into the operations of the Technical Support Division, which is likely to be disbanded by the force, to ascertain allegations of irregularities including financial misappropriation to the tune of Rs 8 crore.
However, it is learnt that no decision has been taken so far.
Army Headquarters said it has completed its inquiry into the case and submitted it to the Defence Ministry for further action.
The Army had set up a Board of Officers under Director General Military Operations Lt Gen Vinod Bhatia after allegations of snooping were levelled against the unit.
The three-member committee comprising Lt Gen Bhatia, Maj Gen A K Ahuja and Brigadier Sunil Mamgain had completed its inquiry into the matter recently and forwarded its report to higher formations.
The TSD was formed during the tenure of Gen Singh and its existence came to light in March when it was alleged that the unit had tapped the phones of Defence Ministry officials at the height of the controversy over the Army Chief`s date of birth.
The process to disband the TSD was initiated recently after the new Army Chief took over.
The TSD was reporting directly to the Gen Singh and it was alleged that the unit may have snooped into the conversations of people even outside the Defence Ministry using its off-the-air interceptor equipment.
Recent reports suggested that the committee is also looking into the alleged misuse of Military Intelligence funds to file court cases during Gen Singh`s tenure against senior officers.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India successfully test launches first ever indigenous space shuttle
- PM Modi to meet top Iranian leaders today
- Pakistan denounces US drone strike on Taliban chief Mullah Mansoor
- BJP's Roopa Ganguly attacked by Trinamool workers near Kolkata
- PM Modi in Tehran: India, Iran sign historic pact on Chabahar port
- Atta girl! 'Aarfa' Anushka Sharma makes gobar cakes in 'Sultan'
- Who is Fahad Tanvir Sheikh? The only Indian identified in ISIS video; he vowed revenge for Babri Masjid, Gujarat - WATCH
- Sensex bounces 217 points; Nifty regains 7,800-mark
- Nothing wrong in chanting 'Om'; opposition to Yoga uncalled for: Salma Ansari
- Islamic State urges Ramadan attacks in US, Europe in new audio broadcast