Secret snooping unit case may see elaborate probe
New Delhi: A secret snooping unit created by the then Army Chief Gen V K Singh could be in for an elaborate probe following a preliminary inquiry by the force indicating certain irregularities in its functioning.
Sources said the Army is of the view that further probe may be required into the operations of the Technical Support Division, which is likely to be disbanded by the force, to ascertain allegations of irregularities including financial misappropriation to the tune of Rs 8 crore.
However, it is learnt that no decision has been taken so far.
Army Headquarters said it has completed its inquiry into the case and submitted it to the Defence Ministry for further action.
The Army had set up a Board of Officers under Director General Military Operations Lt Gen Vinod Bhatia after allegations of snooping were levelled against the unit.
The three-member committee comprising Lt Gen Bhatia, Maj Gen A K Ahuja and Brigadier Sunil Mamgain had completed its inquiry into the matter recently and forwarded its report to higher formations.
The TSD was formed during the tenure of Gen Singh and its existence came to light in March when it was alleged that the unit had tapped the phones of Defence Ministry officials at the height of the controversy over the Army Chief`s date of birth.
The process to disband the TSD was initiated recently after the new Army Chief took over.
The TSD was reporting directly to the Gen Singh and it was alleged that the unit may have snooped into the conversations of people even outside the Defence Ministry using its off-the-air interceptor equipment.
Recent reports suggested that the committee is also looking into the alleged misuse of Military Intelligence funds to file court cases during Gen Singh`s tenure against senior officers.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- CBSE Class X Board Results 2015 to declared tomorrow
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Salman Khan's `Bajrangi Bhaijaan` teaser to be out in two days?
- What couldn't be done in last 10 years, NDA govt did in one year: Smriti Irani in Amethi