Secret snooping unit case may see elaborate probe
New Delhi: A secret snooping unit created by the then Army Chief Gen V K Singh could be in for an elaborate probe following a preliminary inquiry by the force indicating certain irregularities in its functioning.
Sources said the Army is of the view that further probe may be required into the operations of the Technical Support Division, which is likely to be disbanded by the force, to ascertain allegations of irregularities including financial misappropriation to the tune of Rs 8 crore.
However, it is learnt that no decision has been taken so far.
Army Headquarters said it has completed its inquiry into the case and submitted it to the Defence Ministry for further action.
The Army had set up a Board of Officers under Director General Military Operations Lt Gen Vinod Bhatia after allegations of snooping were levelled against the unit.
The three-member committee comprising Lt Gen Bhatia, Maj Gen A K Ahuja and Brigadier Sunil Mamgain had completed its inquiry into the matter recently and forwarded its report to higher formations.
The TSD was formed during the tenure of Gen Singh and its existence came to light in March when it was alleged that the unit had tapped the phones of Defence Ministry officials at the height of the controversy over the Army Chief`s date of birth.
The process to disband the TSD was initiated recently after the new Army Chief took over.
The TSD was reporting directly to the Gen Singh and it was alleged that the unit may have snooped into the conversations of people even outside the Defence Ministry using its off-the-air interceptor equipment.
Recent reports suggested that the committee is also looking into the alleged misuse of Military Intelligence funds to file court cases during Gen Singh`s tenure against senior officers.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BJP likely to form next govt in Bihar: Mulayam Singh
- Haryana minister Krishan Bedi mocks Modi's 'Swachh Bharat Abhiyan'
- Shiv Sena spills ink on ORF chairperson Sudheendra Kulkarni's face
- Bihar Polls: Lalu Yadav's controversial tweet against Karpoori Thakur and PM Modi
- Hafiz Saeed teaching terrorism to children in Pakistan
- ISL 2015: Atletico de Kolkata vs Kerala Blasters - Preview
- Aarushi Talwar's grandfather breaks silence, writes open letter – Read
- 2015 Bihar Assembly Elections: 57% voting in first phase, women voters outnumber men
- Five ways to get pregnant fast!
- After Azhar, Harbhajan Singh visits Navjot Singh Sidhu in hospital!