Security barricades around US Embassy removed
New Delhi: Delhi Police on Tuesday removed the security barricades set p outside American Embassy here immediately after government announced a slew of reprisal measures over the treatment meted out to India`s Deputy Consul General in New York Devyani Khobragade by the US authorities.
A number of cranes, deployed by Delhi police, removed the concrete barricades outside the Embassy at the diplomatic enclave in Chanakyapuri locality of central Delhi. The police also opened the Nyaya Marg for general traffic.
"The Ministry of External Affairs requested us to remove these traffic measures around the US Embassy and clear the road. The Nyaya Marg has been opened for public," Special Commissioner of Delhi Police (Security) Taj Hassan said.
Additional Commissioner of Police (Traffic) Anil Shukla supervised the operation. The barricades around the Embassy were put in place as part of enhanced security.
Hassan, however, said the security to the Embassy will "remain same".
The government earlier announced a series of steps to strip US diplomats and their families of privileges including withdrawing all airport passes, and stopping import clearances for the Embassy.
The government has also stopped all import clearances for the US Embassy including for liquor.
India has reacted sharply to the arrest of Khobragade who was handcuffed in public in New York on visa fraud charges last week.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened