Security of Delhi legislators to be tightened: Dikshit
New Delhi: Delhi Chief Minister Sheila Dikshit on Saturday said the security of legislators in the capital will be stepped up in the wake of a murderous attack on an independent legislator earlier in the day.
"We had a meeting with the police commissioner and we have assured that those (legislators) who have any kind of indication of any threat, they (Delhi Police) will provide security to them, PSOs (Personal Security officer) etc.," Dikshit told reporters here.
The police have already stepped up security for four legislators after they reported threats to their life, Dikshit said.
"We are having a discussion on Tuesday on the law and order situation. While the Police Commissioner would be present, people and MLAs will express their views," the Chief Minister said.
Independent legislator Bharat Singh, 35, elected from Najafgarh, was in critical condition after being shot at by three or four men who sped away in a car. The incident took place around 8:30 am at Singh`s office in Sarangpur village, police said.
The Delhi CM said the case would be solved soon. "They (Delhi Police) said that they will crack the case by this afternoon," she said after a meeting with Delhi Police Commissioner BK Gupta.
Gupta said the crime branch and special cell teams were working on the case.
"Our best investigators are engaged in the case and by evening we will identify the suspects," Gupta told reporters here.
Singh took a bullet on his left shoulder and another in his abdomen. He was taken to the Mata Chanan Devi Hospital at Janakpuri where he was immediately wheeled into an operation theatre.
Police suspect personal enmity may be behind the shooting.
Singh is the brother of municipal councillor Kishen Pahalwan, who reportedly faces several criminal cases, police said.
The attack came a day after Delhi`s legislators raised the issue of their security in the assembly.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced today at 10 am
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced shortly