Security of Delhi legislators to be tightened: Dikshit
New Delhi: Delhi Chief Minister Sheila Dikshit on Saturday said the security of legislators in the capital will be stepped up in the wake of a murderous attack on an independent legislator earlier in the day.
"We had a meeting with the police commissioner and we have assured that those (legislators) who have any kind of indication of any threat, they (Delhi Police) will provide security to them, PSOs (Personal Security officer) etc.," Dikshit told reporters here.
The police have already stepped up security for four legislators after they reported threats to their life, Dikshit said.
"We are having a discussion on Tuesday on the law and order situation. While the Police Commissioner would be present, people and MLAs will express their views," the Chief Minister said.
Independent legislator Bharat Singh, 35, elected from Najafgarh, was in critical condition after being shot at by three or four men who sped away in a car. The incident took place around 8:30 am at Singh`s office in Sarangpur village, police said.
The Delhi CM said the case would be solved soon. "They (Delhi Police) said that they will crack the case by this afternoon," she said after a meeting with Delhi Police Commissioner BK Gupta.
Gupta said the crime branch and special cell teams were working on the case.
"Our best investigators are engaged in the case and by evening we will identify the suspects," Gupta told reporters here.
Singh took a bullet on his left shoulder and another in his abdomen. He was taken to the Mata Chanan Devi Hospital at Janakpuri where he was immediately wheeled into an operation theatre.
Police suspect personal enmity may be behind the shooting.
Singh is the brother of municipal councillor Kishen Pahalwan, who reportedly faces several criminal cases, police said.
The attack came a day after Delhi`s legislators raised the issue of their security in the assembly.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- RJD strongman Shahabuddin brought to Delhi
- UP elections in third phase; voting on 69 seats of 12 districts
- Panel discussion over why SP government is backing Gayatri Prajapati
- 'BJP is winning by absolute majority in Uttar Pradesh Assembly elections'
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating on 'record' Puma deal
- J&K: 26 soldiers martyred, 22 militants killed as Army steps up security in Valley
- Virat Kohli becomes first Indian sportsperson to sign Rs 100-crore endorsement deal