Security tight in Delhi ahead of R-Day
New Delhi: Security has been beefed up here ahead of Republic Day with the barricading of entry points to the city and random checks of vehicles and surveillance of sensitive areas, police said Wednesday.
The vigil has been increased at airports, Metro stations, railway stations and bus depots.
Vehicles coming from adjoining areas like Ghaziabad, Noida and Gurgaon are being subjected to extensive searches, police said. Searches are also being carried out along the Vijay Chowk to Red Fort stretch, the route of the Republic Day parade.
The parade would be witnessed by a host of dignitaries, including President Pranab Mukherjee and Bhutan King Jigme Khesar Namgyel Wangchuck, the chief guest for this year`s celebrations.
The police is keeping a tab on the visuals from over 160 CCTVs between Rajpath and Red Fort, the route of the parade.
Intelligence agencies are keeping a track on activities and communication of terror suspects. Surprise checks are being carried out at crowded market places.
Police is carrying out verification at guest houses, hotels and other places to check suspicious activities.
No vehicle will be allowed to ply on Rajpath from 6 p.m. Jan 25 while vehicular movement will be restricted on Tilak Marg, Bahadurshah Zafar Marg, Netaji Subhash Marg up to Red Fort from 4 a.m. Jan 26.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing