Security to MLAs to be strengthened: Dikshit
New Delhi: Days after an MLA was shot at by unidentified assailants, Chief Minister Sheila Dikshit on Monday assured legislators that police has been told to strengthen security cover to them and that the issue was being taken up seriously.
"I talked to the police commissioner and told him to review security of the MLAs. The security will be enhanced. Any MLA having apprehension about security or facing threats will be given police protection," Dikshit said in the Assembly.
INLD MLA Bharat Singh was shot at on Saturday morning in south-west Delhi by four people who have already been arrested by police.
Shortly after the incident, Dikshit held a meeting with Police Commissioner B K Gupta at her residence and asked him to enhance security of the legislators. Speaker Yoganand Shastri was also present in the meeting.
On Friday, Congress MLAs had demanded adequate security to them after senior legislator Jaswant Rana said in the Assembly that his son received a call last week from an unknown person demanding Rs 50 lakh.
Dikshit said the Assembly will discuss the issue of security to MLAs during the discussion on law and order. The police commissioner has been told to be present at the meeting.
Earlier, BJP MLAs Karan Singh Tanwar and Sunil Vaidya objected to the Speaker going to the residence of Dikshit to attend the meeting with the police commissioner when the Assembly was in session.
"It is not proper. You cannot go to the residence of the Chief Minister when the assembly was in session," said Tanwar vociferously criticising Shastri`s conduct.
Shastri said it was up to him to decide where to go and Tanwar does not have any locus standi on the issue. When repeated attempts to pacify the MLAs failed, the Speaker suspended them from the house.
Later the two MLAs held a protest outside Dikshit`s office in the Assembly complex. Vaidya claimed his family was targeted six times in the last three years and despite demanding security on account of it he did not get the same.
All the BJP MLAs were suspended from the House for three days on Thursday for creating ruckus. Tanwar and Vaidya were not present when the MLAs were suspended.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zakir Naik's 'IRF' converted many to Islam?
- Is Zakir Naik's foundation converted many to Islam for monetary benefits?
- Is Zakir Naik's foundation converted many to Islam for monetary benefits?- Part II
- Why Pakistan commits heinous crime in Balochistan and POK?
- Why Pakistan commits heinous crime in Balochistan and POK?- Part II
- WWE Monday Night Raw results (July 25, 2016): Finn Balor earns shot at WWE Universal Title
- Mercedes to have petrol variants across portfolio in India by September
- Opposition alleges use of coercion, threats in RS polls in Jharkhand
- LOL: Never ever say these annoying things to a tall person! – Watch video
- Max Landis writing 'Pepe Le Pew' movie!