Seeds of fascism being sown in Bengal: CPM
New Delhi: With the Mamata Banerjee government curtailing the number of newspapers to be bought by its offices and libraries, the CPI-M on Thursday said "seeds of fascism" were being sown in West Bengal.
"She (Mamata) wants that only what she says should get in
to print and not anything else. This shows that seeds of
fascism have been sown in the state. But her statements will
not change history and neither will the realities change,"
CPI-M leader Sitaram Yechury said here when asked about the
Yechury said the erstwhile Left Front government not only
allowed buying of all newspapers but also gave them
The Trinamool Congress government, through a recent
circular, announced that no newspapers, barring the eight
named in it, would be bought henceforth by government offices
and state-funded libraries.
"In public interest, government will not buy newspapers
published or purported to be published by any political party
either national or regional as a measure to develop free
thinking among the readers," the circular said.
"... It is felt that the newspapers/dailies, as named in
the table, will, besides promoting language, particularly
among the rural masses, significantly contribute to the
development and spread of free thinking among the members," it
The eight newspapers allowed to be bought include some
Bengali, Hindi and Urdu dailies. The move has come under
severe criticism from many political parties, organisations
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- DNA: Analysis of the letter written by defence minister to Kolkata CM?
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- Note ban: One month on, long queues continue at banks, ATMs
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video
- Virat Kohli makes fun of Alastair Cook after England exhaust both DRS wrongly, watch video