Semester system: HC seeks response from DU, VC on plea
New Delhi: Delhi High Court on Thursday sought
response of Delhi University and the Vice Chancellor on a plea
challenging its decision to implement semester system for the
under-graduate level courses in the Arts stream from the
academic year 2011-2012.
A division bench of Chief Justice Dipak Misra and Justice
Sanjiv Khanna issued notices to the University, VC and the UGC
on a plea by a group of teachers seeking quashing of the April
19 notification to introduce the semester system for the
undergraduate courses in the Arts stream from coming academic
The University`s counsel argued before the court that the
teachers have been still protesting near the VC`s office
against the implementation of semester system despite the
court`s order not to resort to any such demonstration.
Countering the allegation, the counsel for the teachers
submitted that they have been protesting peacefully.
The court asked the teachers not to go for any kind of
protest when the matter is under court`s consideration.
Seeking to roll back the semester system introduced by
the university and to follow the annual system as the mode of
teaching, the lawyer argued that there was a need for a
transparent procedure in which the teachers, students union
and the experts should be consulting before taking any such
According to the petitioner, following the notification
various committees have held the meetings without giving any
time to the members to even study the items on the agenda.
The petitioners also sought an order declaring the
emergency power of the VC as illegal.
A petition filed by the Delhi University Teachers
Association (DUTA) challenging the implementation of semester
system for undergraduate students has been pending before the
court since last year.
Following a letter from the University Grant Commission
(UGC) on March 21, 2010, DU has implemented the semester
system for undergraduate students in Science stream.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India