Sena does JD(U), says support to Pranab and not to Cong or UPA
New Delhi: Like Janata Dal (U), another NDA ally Shiv Sena on Friday said its support is for Pranab Mukherjee and not for Congress or ruling UPA in Presidential poll.
"Our support is in the national interest to Pranab Mukherjee in the Presidential poll and not to Congress and UPA", party`s leader in the Rajya Sabha Sanjay Raut said.
Raut said his party did not bring politics in the issue of Presidential poll as it felt that an "experienced" leader like Mukherjee is needed in the Rashtrapati Bhawan to avoid political instability.
Shiv Sena, the oldest ideological ally of BJP, was the first to break ranks in NDA on the issue of support in the Presidential poll followed by JD-U.
Raut, who is also the party spokesman, said this when asked about the absence of Sena leaders at the time of filing of nominations by Mukherjee yesterday and the failure of the party to propose or second the nomination of the veteran leader.
He said Shiv Sena has backed Mukherjee "without any expectation" as the Sena supremo Bal Thackarey felt the next President needed to be elected unanimously to send a clear message of stability.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- NASA discovers seven Earth-like planets orbiting a single star
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- BMC election results 2017: Shiv Sena ahead as single largest party
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Reliance Jio Vs Airtel free data plan: A comparison
- BMC election 2017 results: As it happened
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- WATCH: When Matthew Renshaw left everybody surprised by 'retiring ill' on Day 1 of India-England Test
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017: As it happened on Thursday