Senior citizens are vulnerable targets, says court
New Delhi: Expressing concern over increasing crime against senior citizens who become vulnerable targets as they live alone, a court here awarded life imprisonment to four people for dacoity and killing a 76-year-old man.
The court was hearing a 2012 dacoity case in which Kishan Lal Manchanda, 76, a resident of Gujrawalan Town in west Delhi was killed.
Manchanda suffered from multiple ailments, including coronary artery disease. His wife, Kamla Devi, 70, was paralytic from the waist down.
According to police, Kali Charan, a fruit seller used to visit the couple and, in course of time, befriended them. He also got his sister Bimlesh to work at the old couple`s house.
The prosecution said Kali Charan hatched a criminal conspiracy along with his sister and five others and committed dacoity June 9, 2012, killing Manchanda.
Additional Sessions Judge Kamini Lau, in an order dated April 16, said: "In the present case, the victims were soft vulnerable targets since the victim Kishan Lal Manchanda was an old man aged about 75 years and his wife Kamla Devi was paralytic waist down and was totally dependent upon an attendant."
The judge noted that the manner in which the offence was committed in broad daylight showed that the convicts held no respect for the law of the land.
The court said the convicts deserve no leniency and sentenced four of them - Kali Charan, Ram Kumar, Chander Bhan and Amit - to life imprisonment and further slapped a fine of Rs. 14,000 each on them. Bimlesh was awarded four years` jail.
They were held guilty on the basis of the witnesses` testimonies and medical, electronic evidence like CCTV footage, call detail records and other circumstantial evidence.
The court acquitted Ram Kumar observing there was lack of evidence against him, while another accused Anil is absconding.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know
- See pic: Genelia marks son's birthday!