Sentencing of ex-Army major,wife for battering kid
New Delhi: A Delhi court today slated August 4 to pronounce its sentence to a former Army Major and his second wife, convicted for torturing their minor son from his first wife.
Additional Session Judge Virender Bhat had held Major (Retd) Lalit Balhara and his second wife Preeti Balhara guilty of battering the minor boy and trying to kill him after the victim`s mother, herself an Army captain, had died in 2000
The judge reserved his order on sentencing after the counsel for the convicts sought leniency for them while the minor boy`s advocate demanded life imprisonment for them.
"Both the accused were produced from judicial custody. After hearing the arguments from both the parties, this court reserves order on sentence for August 4," the judge said.
The former Army major and his second wife had also been held guilty under the Juvenile Justice Act.
While seeking life imprisonment for the couple, the victim`s counsel Ravinder S Garia said, "Both persons have high status in society, but have committed such a ghastly act which cannot be overlooked."
Garia demanded harshest possible punishment for the convicts saying his client has suffered permanent injury and has been left him battered baby syndrome for life.
Opposing Garia`s arguments, defence counsel, however, pleaded that his clients have been in custody for three months and have also not misused the bail given to them earlier.
"They also have two other minor children, a 14-year-old daughter and an 8-year-old son and there is no one to look after them," their counsel added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read