Serial killings are eye opener to malaise in policing: Court
New Delhi: The grotesque serial killings by Chandrakant Jha, who has been sentenced to death in two cases, are an eye opener to the deep rooted malaise which pervades the policing system in India, a Delhi court on Wednesday observed.
"The three cases relating to grotesque serial killings committed in the year 2006 and 2007 which shook the Capital of the country and also the faith of the people in the Law enforcement agencies, are an eye opener to the deep rooted malaise which pervades the policing system in India...
"These cases against convict Jha are demonstrative of the police functioning and the systemic abuse so rampant in our country and I feel saddened while observing that the convict too in a way may be a victim of this policing," Additional Sessions Judge Kamini Lau said.
The remarks were made by the judge in response to the submission made by Jha during the trial that he was committing these crimes to take revenge against the police for falsely implicating him in several criminal cases.
However, the court said false implication in cases by the police does not give him the "right to kill" someone and to take revenge from the system and that it has no sympathy with the offender.
"I have no sympathy with the convict notwithstanding the fact that he claims himself to be a victim of police excesses, atrocities and brutalities over the years.
"I do not want to fall into the trap that he had tried to justify his diabolic acts. Any leniency on my part would be nothing but showing misplaced sympathy and indulgence to a man who by his own admission has killed not one but many an innocent," the judge said.
The court said even if it is presumed that he has turned a "villian" because of the "police excesses on him by way of extortion and false implications in earlier cases, yet it does not give him the right to kill only to push home a point."
However, the court, in its order, observed that the cases relating to Jha raise a large number of questions on the manner in which the police functions and exposes the flip side of the traditional policing where there is "extortion, exploitation and false implication of innocents".
The court said that assuming the claims made by Jha in his statement under section 313 of the CrPC to be correct, he has demonstrated as to how the police system operates in India when as a poor man who had come to Delhi to make his living, he was made to pay up to the beat constable of the area and on his refusal, falsely implicated in the various cases.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- DNA: Analysis of Hurriyat chief Syed Geelani's passport issue
- DNA: Analysis of traffic system of Vancouver, Canada
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 expected to be announced on May 21
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015: JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015 (jharkhandeducation.net) likely to be announced on Thursday May 21 at 1 PM
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results to be announced on May 21 at www.apeamcet.org
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- DHSE (dhsekerala.gov.in) 12th Result 2015: Kerala DHSE Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced on May 21
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be declared on May 21
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'