Set up a working group for welfare of senior citizens: Najeeb Jung
New Delhi: Delhi`s Lt Governor Najeeb Jung on Monday directed constitution of a working group comprising NGOs and government officials to devise a holistic action plan for the welfare of senior citizens in a time-bound manner.
Jung, who chaired a meeting to discuss safety and welfare of senior citizens, said a public-private partnership, especially with corporates coming forward under CSR would certainly go a long way in evolving a proper policy and mechanism "which is still nascent in our country".
The LG also lauded the efforts made by NGOs and RWAs to help senior citizens.
The meeting was attended by representatives of several NGOs, government officials and other stakeholders.
Representatives of several NGOs highlighted the implementation of Maintenance and Welfare of Parents and Senior Citizens Act 2007, has been lackadaisical. Enough infrastructure and mechanism have not yet evolved to take care of nearly a million elderly population in the city, they said.
"There is still a lack of awareness about the legal provisions available in Senior Citizens Welfare Act 2007. More so with the increase in life expectancy, people are retiring early, therefore the need for alternative employment for the elderly is imminent," said Himanshu Rath from Agewell Foundation.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Importance of showing gratitude Part II
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Importance of showing gratitude Part III
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Importance of showing gratitude Part IV
- PM Modi addresses the nation in 20th edition of 'Mann Ki Baat'
- PM Modi addresses the nation in 20th edition of 'Mann Ki Baat' Part II
- Shraddha Kapoor happy to be replaced by Alia Bhatt in ‘Aashiqui 3’?
- RJD MP who said, 'Nitish looting Bihar in name of development', gets show cause notice
- Secy panel on 7th CPC to have key meeting on June 11; salary hikes unlikely to come in July
- PM Modi to attend 2nd International Yoga Day at Chandigarh
- President Pranab Mukherjee appoints Kiran Bedi as Lieutenant Governor of Puducherry