Set up a working group for welfare of senior citizens: Najeeb Jung
New Delhi: Delhi`s Lt Governor Najeeb Jung on Monday directed constitution of a working group comprising NGOs and government officials to devise a holistic action plan for the welfare of senior citizens in a time-bound manner.
Jung, who chaired a meeting to discuss safety and welfare of senior citizens, said a public-private partnership, especially with corporates coming forward under CSR would certainly go a long way in evolving a proper policy and mechanism "which is still nascent in our country".
The LG also lauded the efforts made by NGOs and RWAs to help senior citizens.
The meeting was attended by representatives of several NGOs, government officials and other stakeholders.
Representatives of several NGOs highlighted the implementation of Maintenance and Welfare of Parents and Senior Citizens Act 2007, has been lackadaisical. Enough infrastructure and mechanism have not yet evolved to take care of nearly a million elderly population in the city, they said.
"There is still a lack of awareness about the legal provisions available in Senior Citizens Welfare Act 2007. More so with the increase in life expectancy, people are retiring early, therefore the need for alternative employment for the elderly is imminent," said Himanshu Rath from Agewell Foundation.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on clashes at JNU over Afzal Guru row
- JNU students call terrorist Afzal Guru a martyr amid anti-nationalist slogans
- DNA: JNU students clash over Afzal Guru row
- Panel discussion on clashes at JNU over Afzal Guru row- Part II
- PM Modi breaks protocol to receive Abu Dhabi Crown Prince Al Nahyan
- Drunk girl creates ruckus in Delhi's Connaught Place; arrested - Watch
- JNU erupts over 'Shaheed Afzal Guru', 'Azad Kashmir'; rival student groups clash, police deployed
- AAP poster showing Arvind Kejriwal with Bhindranwale sparks row in Punjab
- Video of Hanumanthappa's rescue that went viral on social media is fake - Watch
- Paid sex: Good or bad? This girl was too eager to find out - Watch what happened!