Several Delhi markets to remain closed tomorrow
New Delhi: A section of traders will shut
their shops here on Thursday as part of an all India bandh called
to protest against the government`s decision to allow FDI in
According to a release by Confederation of All India
Traders` Delhi unit president Narender Madan, a large number
of traders will participate in the all India bandh.
He said wholesale and retail markets in Walled City,
Sadar Bazar, Kamla Nagar, Chawri Bazar, Connaught Place, Karol
Bagh, Khan Market, Kashmere Gate, Tilak Nagar, Rohini, Krishna
Nagar among others will remain closed.
CAIT Secretary General Praveen Khandelwal said over
10,000 trade organisations across the country are expected to
participate in the Bharat Vyapar Bandh.
Khandelwal said the decision on FDI will create an uneven
playing field in the country which will tilt towards MNCs and
prove to be a nightmare for traders and consumers.
Noting that there was no need for foreign investment in
the sector, he said, "The government should withdraw the
permission of FDI in retails."
He said that India retail sector was being run
successfully by the indigenous capital at the rate of 15 per
cent and contributing near 10 per cent of GDP, so no FDI was
"The foreign retailers can open in big cities, but they
will source from mandis across rural India and small towns.
With their money and power over time they can corner the
supply of produce and dominate outsources side," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’