Severe punishment should be give gang-rape culprits: Gursharan Kaur
New Delhi: The Prime Minister`s wife Gursharan Kaur on Monday joined the people in expressing outrage over the gangrape of a young girl and said severe punishment should be meted out to the culprits.
She, at the same time, said any protest against the "ghastly" crime should be peaceful as it would yield more results than violent demonstrations.
The December 16 incident in a moving bus here was a "very bad incident" and that she was at loss of words in expressing her condemnation, she said.
"We all are very sad at this incident but if they (protests) are conducted in a peaceful manner, they will yield more results," Kaur told reporters on the sidelines of the release of a book `Sikh Heritage Ethos and Relics` here.
"This is a horrible crime...Such incident need to be condemned in the strongest possible way," she said.
Kaur said severe punishment needed to be handed down to the accused and that there was a need for fast-track courts to deal with such cases.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Letter to Arvind Kejriwal - `Don't embarrass India again, buy yourself a pair of shoes`
- When a professor sexually abused a girl in classroom; watch other students' reaction
- Indian woman rescued from German refugee camp returns home, thanks government
- Signs that prove Lord Hanuman is still alive
- Will wipe out BJP and Congress from the country: Akbaruddin Owaisi