Sexual crimes against children: HC notice on PIL for special courts
New Delhi: The Delhi High Court on Wednesday sought response from city government on a PIL seeking a direction to constitute special courts for trying sexual offences committed against children.
A bench of Acting Chief Justice B D Ahmed and Justice Vibhu Bakhru issued notice to the Delhi government and sought response by August 14 on the PIL filed by an advocate Gaurav Bansal, saying Section 28 of the Protection of Children from Sexual Offences Act mandates setting up special courts but nothing has been done so far.
The petitioner submitted that the Act also mandates appointment of special public prosecutors to deal with such cases.
Although the Act came into being last November, the government so far has neither constituted the special courts nor appointed special public prosecutors, the lawyer said.
The petitioner said, "For the purpose of providing a speedy trial, the state government shall in consultation with the Chief Justice of the High Court, by notification in the official Gazette, designate for each district, a Court of Session to be a Special Court to try the offences under the Act."
The bench asked the petitioner to make THE Delhi High court as a party in the matter.
The lawyer contended that sufficient awareness was not there about the Act and its provision even among the government officials and the police.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Is Pakistan terrified of Yogi Adityanath as Uttar Pradesh CM?
- Should Ram Mandir issue be resolved through mutual understanding?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister
- Yogi Adityanath took THESE 20 big actions in just 75 hours after becoming UP CM