Shah Commission term extended by another year
New Delhi: The government on Thursday extended the term of Justice MB Shah Commission, which is probing the issues of illegal mining of iron and manganese ore, by another year.
"The Cabinet today approved Mines Ministry`s proposal to give a year`s extension to Justice MB Shah Inquiry Commission," an official source said.
One-man Justice Shah Commission needed more time to visit 6-7 states including Odisha, Jharkhand, Chhattisgarh, Karnataka and Madhya Pradesh to complete the inquiry, as per sources.
A senior Mines Ministry official had said yesterday that the Ministry had already proposed extension of his term by one year as he (Justice M B Shah) needed to visit mines in some states.
The commission, constituted in November 2010 to probe the issues of illegal mining, was to submit its final report by May 18 -- 18 months from its appointment.
So far, the commission has submitted two interim reports. Of this, one was submitted last year on the iron ore mining across the country and the other report was given in March this year on illegal mining in Goa.
The first report had recommended ban on iron ore exports. The second report is also believed to have recommended the same, though from Goa only.
Justice Shah Commission of enquiry had advocated ban on export of these minerals running into billions of rupees and warned that such activities could influence state policies besides promoting illegal mining.
"Export of 92 per cent of iron ore fines to China to fulfil its requirements, led to increase in illegal mining... This has increased menace of mafia controlling mining activities...It has given unimaginable huge profits," it had said.
Suggesting a ban on exports to conserve the mineral for future, the government-appointed Commission has said exports not only increase illegal activities but also influence state policies "because of money power".
The report had added, "It would be difficult to break unholy nexus between law keepers and law breakers because the corruption is likely to flourish."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dengue cases on the rise in Delhi - Is the govt waiting for another epidemic?
- JNU student accuses fellow PhD scholar and AISA member of rape
- Sukhoi 30MKI posted in Arunachal Pradesh; Kiren Rijiju lauds development
- Olympic medalist PV Sindhu returns to Hyderabad; receives grand welcome
- Twelve-year-old ISIS suicide bomber caught and arrested in Iraq
- Athletes’ Report Card: See how the Indian athletes performed at the 2016 Olympic Games
- Over 400 flights grounded as Tokyo prepares to take a direct hit from typhoon
- Kamal Haasan to be conferred French award
- New laser created from jellyfish proteins
- Rohit Shetty's 'Ram Lakhan' remake not happening anymore? Here's what we know so far!