Sharif sent bouquet to Sonia Gandhi in Delhi hospital
Islamabad: Amidst simmering tensions between the two countries, Pakistan Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif sent a bouquet of flowers to UPA chairperson Sonia Gandhi when he learnt of her visit to hospital last week, a media report said Wednesday.
Gandhi was taken to the hospital in New Delhi on August 26 after she felt unwell during a debate in Parliament.
On Sharif’s directive, Pakistan`s Foreign Office asked its High Commission in New Delhi to have flowers delivered to Gandhi, The Nation reported.
The bouquet was sent with a "get well" message and warm wishes on behalf of Sharif, the report said.
Tensions between the two countries escalated since five Indian soldiers were killed in an attack by Pakistani troops on the Line of Control on August 6.
Since then, there have been frequent exchanges of fire at the LoC. Pakistani has claimed that four of its soldiers, including a captain, have died along the ceasefire line.
Both sides have accused each other of violating the 2003 ceasefire agreement on the LoC.
The tensions have cast a shadow on bilateral ties. All eyes in Pakistan are set on a possible meeting between the Prime Ministers of the two countries on the margins of the UN General Assembly in New York later this month.
Pakistan has said its army was not involved in the killing of the Indian soldiers. Sharif has also said he is looking forward to a possible meeting with Singh.
Yesterday, Indian High Commissioner T C A Raghavan paid a courtesy call on the Adviser to the Prime Minister on National Security and Foreign Affairs, Sartaj Aziz.
Raghavan described the LoC incident as unfortunate and stressed the importance of resuming the bilateral dialogue process.
Aziz said there was hope in Sharif`s government about picking up the threads from the Lahore Declaration of 1999 and embarking on a new phase of Pakistan-India relations.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar stands in a queue at Pune wedding!
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 100 cr reward for PM Modi's arrest
- India's second deadliest heatwave kills more than 2000 people
- DNA: Captain Saurabh Kalia's torture at the hands of Pakistani Army
- DNA: Govt tests Maggi noodle samples from all states
- Check CHSE orrisharesults.nic.in, chseodisha.nic.in for Class 12 (Plus Two) Result 2015
- Will ask SC if India can pursue Captain Saurabh Kalia case against Pakistan in ICJ: Sushma Swaraj
- Salman, Aamir, Shah Rukh in a film together?
- Assam Board (seba.net.in & resultsassam.nic.in): SEBA HSLC / AHM class 10th Results 2015 to be announced today
- Anti-minority remarks by Sangh Parivar leaders 'uncalled for': Narendra Modi