Sharma takes over as new head of Eastern Air Command
New Delhi: Air Marshal Ravi Kant Sharma, a veteran fighter pilot, on Saturday took over as the commander of IAF`s Shillong-based Eastern Air Command.
The officer was the Deputy Chief of Air Staff at the Air Headquarters here before taking over as the Air Officer Commanding-in-Chief (AOC-in-C) of the Eastern Command, IAF spokesperson Wing Commander Gerard Galway said here.
Air Marshal S Sukumar has taken over as the new Deputy Chief of the Force and would be in-charge of all the procurements to be done by the Force for its modernisation, he said.
Sharma was commissioned into the fighters` stream of the IAF in June 1975 after which he went on to become a Qualified Flying Instructor.
"He is an Experimental Test pilot and has flown around 3300 hours on several different types of aircraft including the under-development Light Combat Aircraft (LCA)," Galway said.
He has also commanded Test Pilot School and Prototype Test Squadron at Aircraft System Testing Establishment (ASTE), Bangalore and a premier airbase in the South-Western Sector.
Sharma is married to Wg Cdr (retd) Chitralekha Khati Sharma, who was a medical specialist and the couple has a son.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Admissions 2015: Know India's best ranking Universities
- Yasin Bhatkal calls wife from Hyderabad jail, talks of 'help from Damascus'
- DNA: Analysis of first SECC survey in eight decades
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with UPSC topper Ira Singhal's family
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results; women bag top four positions
- Five guerrillas, one soldier killed near LoC
- 3rd Test, Day 2: Sri Lanka rattle Pakistan in decider
- Indian Mujahideen chief Yasin Bhatkal indicates Islamic State will help him get out of jail soon
- Missing UK schoolgirls seen carrying Kalashnikov rifle in ISIS's Raqqa?