Sharma takes over as new head of Eastern Air Command
New Delhi: Air Marshal Ravi Kant Sharma, a veteran fighter pilot, on Saturday took over as the commander of IAF`s Shillong-based Eastern Air Command.
The officer was the Deputy Chief of Air Staff at the Air Headquarters here before taking over as the Air Officer Commanding-in-Chief (AOC-in-C) of the Eastern Command, IAF spokesperson Wing Commander Gerard Galway said here.
Air Marshal S Sukumar has taken over as the new Deputy Chief of the Force and would be in-charge of all the procurements to be done by the Force for its modernisation, he said.
Sharma was commissioned into the fighters` stream of the IAF in June 1975 after which he went on to become a Qualified Flying Instructor.
"He is an Experimental Test pilot and has flown around 3300 hours on several different types of aircraft including the under-development Light Combat Aircraft (LCA)," Galway said.
He has also commanded Test Pilot School and Prototype Test Squadron at Aircraft System Testing Establishment (ASTE), Bangalore and a premier airbase in the South-Western Sector.
Sharma is married to Wg Cdr (retd) Chitralekha Khati Sharma, who was a medical specialist and the couple has a son.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajinikanth's 'Kabali' releases early morning at 6 am in Mumbai!
- Jharkhand: Zee Media honors ten environmentalists with Green Warrior Award
- DNA: Why nationalist reporting trigger protest in Gurez valley?
- DNA: Why nationalist reporting trigger protest in Gurez valley? - Part II
- DNA: Why nationalist reporting trigger protest in Gurez valley? - Part III