Shazia Ilmi denies contesting Lok Sabha poll from Rae Bareli
New Delhi: AAP leader Shazia Ilmi on Tuesday sought to quell speculation that she would be pitted against Congress president Sonia Gandhi in the Lok Sabha polls, saying she "never agreed" to contest from Rae Bareli.
"I am not contesting from Rae Bareli. I never agreed to nor do I now ... I`ve been denying this for the last two months," Ilmi wrote on social networking site twitter.
There was buzz in the party that Ilmi will be fielded against Gandhi from Rae Bareli after another AAP leader Kumar Vishwas was fielded against Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi from Amethi.
Sources said the party was keen on Ilmi taking on Gandhi, but then Ilmi was not interested to take on the Congress president.
Ilmi has expressed her desire to contest either from Farrukhabad, a seat represented by Union Minister Salman Khurshid, or any seat from Delhi.
A section of party leaders were also of an opinion that Ilmi, who undertakes fund raising campaigns, should be made to campaign instead of pitting her against Gandhi.
Ilmi had also contested from RK Puram constituency in Delhi assembly elections, but lost to a BJP candidate by a slender margin.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India vs Zimbabwe: Ajinkya Rahane to lead; MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli rested
- Tihar Jail's security breached: Lt Governor Najeeb Jung orders probe, Centre seeks report
- MEA declines information on Lalit Modi's passport issue, draws flak
- School director beaten to death after two students found dead in Bihar
- #SelfieWithDaughter trends worldwide on Twitter after PM Modi's 'Mann Ki Baat'