Sheila Dikshit blames unbridled influx of migrants for Delhi`s woes
New Delhi: Identifying "unbridled influx" of migrants into Delhi as a major challenge, Chief Minister Sheila Dikshit on Thursday blamed the burgeoning population for putting existing infrastructure under strain and sought help from the Centre to deal with the situation.
In her address at 57th meeting of the National Development Council, Dikshit said the national capital was grappling with "unparalleled and unprecedented" challenges and cited continuous influx of people from across the country as a major cause of concern.
"Delhi`s burgeoning population trend is further exacerbated by the continuous and unbridled influx of people from all over the country. Higher wages, better educational and health care facilities, more employment opportunities are some of the factors responsible for the continuous influx," she said.
Acknowledging the contribution of the migrants in evolution of an "eclectic culture" in the city, Dikshit, however, said the ever increasing population has put enormous pressure on housing, sanitation, power, water, sewerage, solid waste management, public health and transport system.
"The proliferation of private vehicles and consequent clogging of roads is another problem that shows no trend of abatement," she said emphasising the need for brining an innovative multi-model transport system for the city at the "earliest".
"Being the capital city of India, making Delhi an environmentally sustainable habitat and a global heritage city as envisaged in the 12th Plan is a national desideratum and calls for huge resources and massive effort," Dikshit added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- More than 9 lakh people participated in the oath-taking ceremony of Donald Trump
- DNA: Analyzing the harmful effects of selfies
- Report of a taxi driver who lends helping hand to patients in Mumbai
- 7th Pay Commission: Central govt employees expect Committee on Allowances report in February
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- Yuvraj Singh's wife Hazel Keech suggests new middle name for hubby Yuvi following Cuttack heroics
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- Bigots at it again! Mohammed Shami called un-Islamic for posting picture with dog