Sheila Dikshit defends parking rate hike
New Delhi: Defending the decision to hike parking rates in the capital, Delhi Chief Minister Sheila Dikshit on Thursday said people buying high-end cars can afford to pay more money for parking their vehicles.
Her comments came against the backdrop of New Delhi Municipal Council (NDMC) deciding to double the parking rates in VVIP areas of the capital from June.
"In the city, every rate has gone up. Cost has gone up. Those who can pay more money to buy high-end cars, they can afford to pay Rs ten to 20 more for parking," Dikshit told reporters on the sidelines of the India Gem and Jewellery Fair here.
Asked about the scheme for providing houses for the poor, she said there was a need for framing policies.
"There is a need for cut off date. We cannot provide houses for everyone. We need to frame policies," she said.
On the Supreme Court dismissing death row convict Devinderpal Singh Bhullar`s plea for commuting his capital punishment to life imprisonment, Dikshit refused to make any comment.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Olympic bronze medallist Sakshi Malik returns home from Rio to grand welcome!
- Rahul Gandhi takes U-turn, says never blamed RSS for Gandhi's assassination
- Secret documents on Indian Navy's Scorpene-class submarine leaked
- PM Modi's photos, Indian flags raised during massive protests in Balochistan
- Did India become victim of Scorpene submarine conspiracy?
- Gadkari to meet FM Jaitley today for vehicle scrapping policy
- Hot scoop! THIS actress has replaced Alia Bhatt in Rohit Shetty's next?
- Argentina coach Edgardo Bauza keen on reducing Lionel Messi's workload
- Amarinder Singh makes fresh offer to Navjot Singh Sidhu, says he has Congress in his DNA
- Rio 2016: After golden Olympic run, Justin Rose returns to regular job