Sheila Dikshit justifies hike in power tariff
New Delhi: Under attack from BJP and Arvind Kejriwal`s Aam Admi Party for hike in power tariff, Chief Minister Sheila Dikshit on Friday sought to justify the increase and said bills have gone up due to 24-hour electricity supply.
"People will try to instigate you saying that these bills are inflated. But I would say you one cannot compare bills for 24 hour power supply to that of 8 hours supply," Dikshit said after inaugurating a road project in Ballimaran area.
Last month Dikshit had said people should cut power consumption on various electrical appliances if they cannot afford high electricity tariff, a prescription that had evoked sharp criticism.
Rejecting criticism of increase in tariff, the Chief Minister said her government has ensured round-the-clock power supply in the city which used to witness eight to nine-hour- long power cuts.
"There are a lot of youths here who don`t even know that there used to be eight to 9-hour-long power outages in Delhi. We had decided to fix the problem and we have succeeded in it by ensuring 24 hour power availability to people of Delhi," Dikshit said.
The power tariff in the city was hiked by 22 per cent in 2011 followed by five per cent hike in February last year. The tariff was hiked by up to two per cent in May last year and again by 26 per cent for domestic consumers in July last year. The tariff was hiked by up to three per cent last month. The Delhi Electricity Regulatory Commission is again considering a hike in tariff.
AAP leader Kejriwal is on an indefinite fast for last seven days protesting "inflated" power and water bills. He has been asking people not to pay the bills.
The Delhi BJP has also upped the ante against Dikshit, alleging that power tariff in the city was being hiked frequently at her "behest".
Delhi BJP chief Vijay Goel has already announced that tariff will be cut by 30 per cent if the party comes to power in assembly polls scheduled to be held in November.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day
- 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' starts on a good note at the Box Office!
- Shocking! 7 veg food items that may actually be non veg
- CBSE 12th Result 2015 to be announced on Monday
- Say hello to 'nastiest' star ever
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy