Sheila Dikshit justifies water tariff hike
New Delhi: Justifying her government`s decision to hike water tariff earlier this month, Delhi Chief Minister Sheila Dikshit on Saturday said prices were raised after a gap of six years, though drinking water is still being subsidised.
"Elected governments will never like to hike rates of their civic services, though they have to take certain steps to improve the quality of services and for expansion of services," said Dikshit.
She exhorted representatives of Resident Welfare Associations (RWA) to become vigilant and ensure that there is no wastage of drinking water.
"Wherever they notice such wastage, they must promptly inform the DJB (Delhi Jal Board). Apart from this, the RWAs can also interact with their elected representatives under Bhagidari initiative to bring improvements," she added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Zaira Wasim Trolled: Ashamed that she had to apologise, says Gautam Gambhir