Sheila Dikshit justifies water tariff hike
New Delhi: Justifying her government`s decision to hike water tariff earlier this month, Delhi Chief Minister Sheila Dikshit on Saturday said prices were raised after a gap of six years, though drinking water is still being subsidised.
"Elected governments will never like to hike rates of their civic services, though they have to take certain steps to improve the quality of services and for expansion of services," said Dikshit.
She exhorted representatives of Resident Welfare Associations (RWA) to become vigilant and ensure that there is no wastage of drinking water.
"Wherever they notice such wastage, they must promptly inform the DJB (Delhi Jal Board). Apart from this, the RWAs can also interact with their elected representatives under Bhagidari initiative to bring improvements," she added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- Exclusive interview with Usman Majid, MLA, J&K Congress
- Four Indians kidnapped in Libya; Islamic State hand suspected
- Parties should be united against terrorism, says Rajnath Singh
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- Watch video: The epic battle between 'Machli' tigress and a 14-foot-long crocodile!
- Cristiano Ronaldo great, but Lionel Messi is greatest: Xavi Hernandez