Sheila Dikshit pitches for modernising Delhi Police
New Delhi: Chief Minister Sheila Dikshit on Friday pitched for modernising Delhi police and creating awareness among residents to address the growing feeling of insecurity among women in the national capital.
Dikshit said contrary to claims by police about improvement in law and order situation, majority of women in the city do not feel secure and there was need to seriously address the concerns of the fair sex.
"Statistics do not match the kind of fear that we have. The police always say that the situation is not bad as made out to be. But there is this feeling that Delhi is not a safe city," she said replying to a question by noted actor Shabana Azmi at an interaction.
The Chief Minister said there was a need to modernise police so that women feel secure in the city. "At the same time we will have to create awareness among citizens so that they could also contribute in improving the environment."
In the event organised by CII, Azmi had wanted to know what kind of steps Dikshit`s government was taking to address the feeling of insecurity among women in the national capital.
The Delhi Police functions under administrative control of Union Home Ministry.
Earlier in her address, Dikshit listed various achievements of her government and said a major food security programme will be launched on October 2 under which cash subsidy of Rs 600 per month would be given to two lakh vulnerable households in the city not covered by either BPL scheme and Antyodaya Anna Yojana.
"The scheme will benefit around two lakh families. The scheme would go a long way in making Delhi a hunger-free state," Dikshit said.
Under the scheme a food subsidy of Rs 600 per month would be transferred directly to the bank account of the senior most female member of the household. The government will spend around Rs 150 crore in the current financial year for the scheme.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar stands in a queue at Pune wedding!
- India's second deadliest heatwave kills more than 2000 people
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 100 cr reward for PM Modi's arrest
- DNA: Captain Saurabh Kalia's torture at the hands of Pakistani Army
- DNA: Govt tests Maggi noodle samples from all states
- Check CHSE orrisharesults.nic.in, chseodisha.nic.in for Class 12 (Plus Two) Result 2015
- Will ask SC if India can pursue Captain Saurabh Kalia case against Pakistan in ICJ: Sushma Swaraj
- Salman, Aamir, Shah Rukh in a film together?
- Assam Board (seba.net.in & resultsassam.nic.in): SEBA HSLC / AHM class 10th Results 2015 to be announced today
- Anti-minority remarks by Sangh Parivar leaders 'uncalled for': Narendra Modi