Sheila Dikshit plays down defeat in DSGMC poll
New Delhi: Chief Minister Sheila Dikshit on Wednesday sought to downplay the defeat of Congress-backed Shiromani Akali Dal (Badal) in Delhi Sikh Gurdwara Management Committee (DSGMC), saying the outcome would not have any bearing on Congress in coming assembly polls.
"It was an election of a religious body. It will not have any bearing on the assembly polls," Dikshit said when her reaction was sought to the drubbing of the ruling dispensation led by Paramjit Singh Sarna.
The Chief Minister insisted that the election outcome in no way was an indication of the loss of peoples` support for her government and Congress.
After a gap of ten years, Shiromani Akali Dal (Badal) wrested back control of powerful DSGMC. SAD (Badal), supported by BJP, bagged 37 out of 46 seats while Shiromani Akali Dal (Delhi) claimed eight seats against its current strength of 27 seats.
SAD (Delhi) chief Sarna lost by the highest margin of votes to SAD (Badal)`s Manjinder Singh from Punjabi Bagh.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- ATM virus attack: Users of debit cards under threat!
- J&K govt suspends 12 officials on anti-national activities
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Bhubaneswar fire: Owner of SUM Hospital surrenders
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Pierce Brosnan 'deeply shocked and saddened' because of Pan Masala brand ad