Sheila Dikshit plays down defeat in DSGMC poll
New Delhi: Chief Minister Sheila Dikshit on Wednesday sought to downplay the defeat of Congress-backed Shiromani Akali Dal (Badal) in Delhi Sikh Gurdwara Management Committee (DSGMC), saying the outcome would not have any bearing on Congress in coming assembly polls.
"It was an election of a religious body. It will not have any bearing on the assembly polls," Dikshit said when her reaction was sought to the drubbing of the ruling dispensation led by Paramjit Singh Sarna.
The Chief Minister insisted that the election outcome in no way was an indication of the loss of peoples` support for her government and Congress.
After a gap of ten years, Shiromani Akali Dal (Badal) wrested back control of powerful DSGMC. SAD (Badal), supported by BJP, bagged 37 out of 46 seats while Shiromani Akali Dal (Delhi) claimed eight seats against its current strength of 27 seats.
SAD (Delhi) chief Sarna lost by the highest margin of votes to SAD (Badal)`s Manjinder Singh from Punjabi Bagh.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- BMC election results 2017: Shiv Sena ahead as single largest party
- Pakistan cancels licenses of weapons issued to Hafiz Saeed and his aides
- BMC election 2017 results LIVE: Massive surge in BJP's seats; counting underway
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017 LIVE: BJP closes gap with Shiv Sena in BMC, dominates in other cities
- Solapur Municipal Corporation Elections 2017 Results LIVE: Asaduddin Owaisi's AIMIM bags 5 seats; counting underway