Sheila Dikshit plays down defeat in DSGMC poll
New Delhi: Chief Minister Sheila Dikshit on Wednesday sought to downplay the defeat of Congress-backed Shiromani Akali Dal (Badal) in Delhi Sikh Gurdwara Management Committee (DSGMC), saying the outcome would not have any bearing on Congress in coming assembly polls.
"It was an election of a religious body. It will not have any bearing on the assembly polls," Dikshit said when her reaction was sought to the drubbing of the ruling dispensation led by Paramjit Singh Sarna.
The Chief Minister insisted that the election outcome in no way was an indication of the loss of peoples` support for her government and Congress.
After a gap of ten years, Shiromani Akali Dal (Badal) wrested back control of powerful DSGMC. SAD (Badal), supported by BJP, bagged 37 out of 46 seats while Shiromani Akali Dal (Delhi) claimed eight seats against its current strength of 27 seats.
SAD (Delhi) chief Sarna lost by the highest margin of votes to SAD (Badal)`s Manjinder Singh from Punjabi Bagh.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know
- See pic: Genelia marks son's birthday!