Sheila Dikshit to meet Pawar, Thomas tomorrow on onion prices
New Delhi: Worried over high onion prices ahead of Assembly elections, Delhi Chief Minister Sheila Dikshit is scheduled to meet Agriculture Minister Sharad Pawar and Food Minister K V Thomas tomorrow to discuss the situation.
Besides, Pawar and Thomas are expected to meet separately on this issue tomorrow. It is likely that finance and commerce ministers might join the meeting to finalise measures to ward off rising onion inflation, sources said.
Onion prices in the national capital have remained high since last three months on supply crunch due to unseasonal rains in producing areas. Retail prices have gone up to Rs 90 per kg now.
"Delhi Chief Minister is meeting two Union Ministers tomorrow to discuss the onion issue. A separate meeting has been fixed with Minister of Agriculture and Minister of Food and Consumer Affairs Minister tomorrow on onion issue," according to a source.
The meeting will focus on ways to improve onion supplies and control prices in the national capital, they added.
Meanwhile, Pawar today indicated that onion prices might remain high for 2-3 weeks, and asked states to crack down on hoarders to help tame the rates.
"...Next two to three weeks will be tough and ultimately we have to find a solution," Pawar said in Bangalore.
Pawar also said he would inform Thomas that the National Agricultural Cooperative Marketing Federation of India Ltd (NAFED) is ready to import some quantity.
Onion is a politically sensitive commodity in the country. In 1998, the BJP government was voted out of power in Delhi due to increase in onion prices to Rs 60 per kg.
Dikshit had come to power riding on public anger over onion price. Ironically, she is facing similar challenge ahead of state elections to be held on December 4.
In August, Dikshit had met Pawar and urged him to take immediate steps to control prices. However, since then, the price situation has rather worsened.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Pakistan break Team India's long-standing ODI record at home soil
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday
- Gujjar agitation: Centre sending additional forces to vacate rail tracks, say sources
- Islamic State attracts young recruits with free honeymoon, stipend for family
- MSBSHSE Class XII HSC results 2015: Maharashtra Class 12th Board results declared on mahresult.nic.in
- South China Sea critical to US national security: White House
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi, triggers tie-up speculation