Sheila Dikshit turns 75, promises to work harder for Delhi
New Delhi: Delhi Chief Minister Sheila Dikshit turned 75 on Sunday, with number of senior Congress leaders including Prime Minister Manmohan Singh greeting her on the occasion.
A large number of Congressmen including her Cabinet colleagues thronged her residence here to wish her.
It was a festive atmosphere at her 3-Motilal Nehru Place residence as supporters started thronging there since early in the morning with musical bands adding colour to the celebrations.
"I thank all of you. Your wishes mean a lot to me. I will continue to work hard to make Delhi a better city," Dikshit told a group of Congress workers.
The Chief Minister had to cut several birthday cakes brought by her well-wishers and friends. She was presented bouquets, greeting cards and other gifts.
Dikshit also cut a large cake weighing 75 kgs.
The supporters wished Dikshit victory in the Assembly elections slated for November.
"We want you to become Chief Minister for fourth consecutive term. We are confident of a fourth straight victory in the Assembly polls," a group of supporters said.
Assembly Speaker Yoganand Shastri and almost all Congress MLAs visited Dikshit`s residence to wish her. A close aide of Dikshit said a number of senior Congress leaders also greeted her.
Dikshit`s parliamentary secretary Mukesh Sharma led a youth contingent from his constituency to her residence.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!
- Unbelievable! Crops destroyed for Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi's rally in Karnataka
- Rahul Gandhi takes potshot at PM Narendra Modi's fashion sense - Watch
- It's time for Muslims to rise and protest against some Hindutva forces: Azam Khan
- Bihar has to choose between 'jungle raj' and 'vikas Raj': Narendra Modi