Sheila Dikshit turns 75, promises to work harder for Delhi
New Delhi: Delhi Chief Minister Sheila Dikshit turned 75 on Sunday, with number of senior Congress leaders including Prime Minister Manmohan Singh greeting her on the occasion.
A large number of Congressmen including her Cabinet colleagues thronged her residence here to wish her.
It was a festive atmosphere at her 3-Motilal Nehru Place residence as supporters started thronging there since early in the morning with musical bands adding colour to the celebrations.
"I thank all of you. Your wishes mean a lot to me. I will continue to work hard to make Delhi a better city," Dikshit told a group of Congress workers.
The Chief Minister had to cut several birthday cakes brought by her well-wishers and friends. She was presented bouquets, greeting cards and other gifts.
Dikshit also cut a large cake weighing 75 kgs.
The supporters wished Dikshit victory in the Assembly elections slated for November.
"We want you to become Chief Minister for fourth consecutive term. We are confident of a fourth straight victory in the Assembly polls," a group of supporters said.
Assembly Speaker Yoganand Shastri and almost all Congress MLAs visited Dikshit`s residence to wish her. A close aide of Dikshit said a number of senior Congress leaders also greeted her.
Dikshit`s parliamentary secretary Mukesh Sharma led a youth contingent from his constituency to her residence.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- India-Afghanistan thrash Pakistan over terrorism issue in Heart of Asia conference
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa suffers cardiac arrest; being monitored
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition extremely grave
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- People want to know whether Jayalalithaa is alive or not; PM Narendra Modi must intervene, says expelled AIADMK MP Sasikala Pushpa
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition continues to remain critical after suffering cardiac arrest
- Jayalalithaa's health condition: Amma critical, nation's political fraternity expresses concern - Who said what