`Sheila Dikshit wants Shinde to allow protests at India Gate`
New Delhi: Delhi Chief Minister Sheila Dikshit has asked Home Minister SushilKumar Shinde to lift restrictions on holding peaceful demonstration in memory of the 23-year-old gang-rape victim in and around India Gate.
Anticipating protests, police had closed the area around India Gate and Raisina Hill for the public besides putting barricades on all roads leading to the two places.
"The Chief Minister feels there should not be any restrictions on holding peaceful demonstrations in and around India Gate," highly-placed sources said.
They said the Chief Minister`s views on the issue have been conveyed to the Home Minister.
A large number of police personnel were deployed at Rajpath, the stretch connecting India Gate and Raisina Hill where large scale protests were witnessed last weekend.
The girl, who was admitted to Mount Elizabeth Hospital in Singapore in an extremely critical condition, breathed her last at 4:45 am (2:15 am India time). She was earlier treated at the Safdarjung Hospital in Delhi.
Ten Metro stations in Central Delhi were closed down for an indefinite period, as a precautionary measure by Delhi Police to prevent protesters from reaching India Gate.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why is Akhilesh Yadav encouraging dishonesty for votes?
- Is Akhilesh Yadav seeking votes based on development made by Modi govt?
- 15-year old girl stabbed to death in Mumbai
- DU Student Clash : Confrontation among students becomes sensitive, AISA to carry flag march today
- UP polls: Polling for fifth phase of Assembly elections today
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Muslims should be cremated, there's no space to bury 20 cr people: BJP MP Sakshi Maharaj
- Gurmehar Kaur reacts to Virender Sehwag's tweet, says she is heart broken!
- Gurmehar Kaur controversy: Twitter turns into battleground after Virender Sehwag trolls Kargil martyr's daughter
- Gurmehar Kaur row: Girl who got 'Shiva stole' gift from PM Narendra Modi says she got rape threat from Congress politician