`Sheila Dikshit wants Shinde to allow protests at India Gate`
New Delhi: Delhi Chief Minister Sheila Dikshit has asked Home Minister SushilKumar Shinde to lift restrictions on holding peaceful demonstration in memory of the 23-year-old gang-rape victim in and around India Gate.
Anticipating protests, police had closed the area around India Gate and Raisina Hill for the public besides putting barricades on all roads leading to the two places.
"The Chief Minister feels there should not be any restrictions on holding peaceful demonstrations in and around India Gate," highly-placed sources said.
They said the Chief Minister`s views on the issue have been conveyed to the Home Minister.
A large number of police personnel were deployed at Rajpath, the stretch connecting India Gate and Raisina Hill where large scale protests were witnessed last weekend.
The girl, who was admitted to Mount Elizabeth Hospital in Singapore in an extremely critical condition, breathed her last at 4:45 am (2:15 am India time). She was earlier treated at the Safdarjung Hospital in Delhi.
Ten Metro stations in Central Delhi were closed down for an indefinite period, as a precautionary measure by Delhi Police to prevent protesters from reaching India Gate.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Did history fail to serve justice to Dr Shyama Prasad Mukherjee?
- Did history fail to serve justice to Dr Shyama Prasad Mukherjee? - Part II
- Did history fail to serve justice to Dr Shyama Prasad Mukherjee? - Part III
- Did history fail to serve justice to Dr Shyama Prasad Mukherjee? - Part IV
- Are central govt employees justified in demanding salary hike?
- India vs New Zealand: Indore gears up to host its first ever Test in upcoming series
- Major success! Army busts new terror outfit 'Helem Tiger Force' in Assam's Kokrajhar
- ICC likely to make 12-team main draw in 2018 World T20
- 50,000 fans register for Xiaomi Mi Max launch event
- Euro 2016: Despite another failure, Spain reluctant to change 'tiki-taka' style of play