Sheila Dixit`s media campaign before election challenged in SC
New Delhi: The Sheila Dixit government`s reported plan to spend Rs 25 crore of public money for highlighting its achievements before coming assembly elections in Delhi has been challenged in the Supreme Court.
The PIL filed in the apex court has also named the Chief Minister as one of the parties in the case along with the Centre and CBI.
A bench of justices Gyan Sudha Mishra and Madan B Lokur, before which the case was mentioned, agreed to hear the case but turned down the plea of petitioner advocate M L Sharma who had sought an urgent hearing in the matter.
The bench said the petition would be heard in due course after the summer vacation.
Sharma in his plea alleged nether the state legislature nor the Governor has given approval to the media campaign which is in violation of law and needs to be investigated by CBI.
"The petitioner is challenging the impugned state action to spend Rs 25 crores from public treasury for the political promotion and securing political mileage for their political executive under the garb of departmental programme and advertisements," the petition said while quoting media reports.
He said the state government has no constitutional or legal right to misuse the public fund for its personal interest for political mileage under the garb of information affairs.
"The state legislature has not passed any such bill to spend from the state`s exchequer for the impugned advertisement and media campaign under the garb of departmental publication till the date of filing the present writ petition.
"Neither the President nor the Governor has issued any such ordinance to use state fund for media campaign for the political executive till date of filing the present petition," it said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Gujarat man who disclosed Rs 14,000 crore unaccounted wealth goes missing
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video
- RBI to issue new Rs 20, Rs 50 notes; old notes to remain legal tender
- Rahul Dravid heaps praise on Virat Kohli, R Ashwin; calls duo modern cricket legends