Sheila meets mayors after war of words
New Delhi: Delhi Chief Minister Sheila Dikshit today asked mayors of the newly set up civic bodies to focus on improving cleanliness, sanitation and maintenance of street lights in their respective areas while assuring all possible help from her government.
In a meeting with the mayors, Dikshit said the MCD was trifurcated to ensure efficiency in municipal administration and all the newly created civic bodies must strive hard to fulfil the aspirations of the people.
The Chief Minister asked the mayors to desist from indulging in blame game if they fail to deliver, saying such attitude will not be acceptable, a senior official said.
The mayors- all belonging to BJP- Meera Aggarwal of North Delhi municipality, Annpurna Mishra of East Delhi municipality and Savita Gupta of South Delhi Municipality paid a courtesy visit to Dikshit at Delhi Secretariat.
Deputy mayors of North Delhi municipality Azad Singh and Deputy Mayor of East Delhi Municipality Usha Shastri were also present.
City BJP chief Vijender Gupta and the mayors have been attacking the city government for not heeding to their demand of providing any bailout package to the civic bodies.
In turn, Delhi ministers had asked them to focus on better tax collection and financial management to improve their revenue position rather than blaming the state government for all the difficulties.
The mayors apprised Dikshit about certain teething problems like lack of adequate administrative staff and scarcity of funds to which the Chief Minister assured them that all assistance from Delhi Government.
Officials said Dikshit specifically asked the mayors to concentrate on basic responsibilities of the civic agencies to ensure proper sanitation, cleanliness, maintenance of roads and street lighting.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Exclusive: Prakash Javadekar's views on issue of climate change before UN summit
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Intolerance issue: Aamir Khan's remarks 'innocent', says Rajkumar Hirani
- Arvind Kejriwal backs Tarun Gogoi's claim over Guv favouring BJP, suspects 'coop federalism'
- PM Modi leaves for Paris to take part in Climate Conference
- Muslims worldwide had celebrated after 9/11: Donald Trump