Sheila misleading people on managing public utility: BJP
New Delhi: Delhi BJP on Saturday accused Chief Minister Sheila Dikshit of misleading and making fun of the common man and asked her to focus on proper management of public utility services like water instead of shifting the blame on others.
Terming Dikshit`s remark as "insensitive" that no one should complain about water in Delhi as no one has died of thirst here, the party demanded an apology from her.
"In wake of recent deaths due to consumption of contaminated water at the NCERT colony, such an insensitive statement is shocking and shows the Congress government`s apathy towards problems of common people," said Delhi BJP Chief Vijay Goel.
"The CM is misleading common people by trying to shift the blame of poor water supply on the failure of other states to provide water.
The fact is, 40 per cent of water is wasted due to poor management in the city, he alleged. "We only need to plug this leakage and there would be sufficient water for Delhi," he said.
The state BJP Chief said that despite the CM herself heading Delhi Jal Board (DJB) the government has failed to provide water in the last 15 years of Congress rule to the city.
"The water tariff has shot up by 1,000 per cent during the last 15 years, the water supply to common households has been reduced and the quality of water has also gone down and no one is held accountable for it by the government," Goel said.
The state BJP chief said there were least 80 to 100 spots
where sewage water was seeping into drinking water supply pipes.
"But nothing has been done. As head of DJB, Sheila Dikshit is directly responsible for such incidents. But instead of fixing accountability, here is a CM who is humiliating people by saying no one has died of thirst in Delhi. So, no one should protest," he said.
Goel said the CM has admitted in a DJB function recently that 40 per cent of the city does not have sewage system.
"We would like to ask who is to be blamed for this? Laying sewage system is the task of DJB and it has not done it. So, the CM needs to answer where has all the money gone which was allocated to DJB? What has it done in the last 15 years if almost half of the city"? Goel said, charging the way CM has been treating issues related to the common people such as power, water, sewage, transport and education with "great disdain is appalling".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- India to activate laser walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- Panel discussion on 'Most Favoured Nation' status India accorded to Pakistan in 1996
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- Five takeaways from Sushma Swaraj's speech at UN General Assembly
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- This Hindu-dominated village in West Bengal is not allowed to organise Durga Puja as Muslims don't want it