Sheila orders measures against possible flood this
New Delhi: With waterlogging becoming a regular problem in Delhi during monsoon, Chief Minister Sheila Dikshit today directed all concerned agencies to ensure that a similar situation does not recur in the city in the coming season.
Presiding over a meeting of Flood Control Apex Committee, Dikshit asked the officials of various agencies, including PWD, municipal corporations and flood control department to take necessary measures to prevent water-logging.
The Chief Minister also told the agencies to gear up their machineries to deal with flood in low-lying areas along the Yamuna. Low-lying areas in East Delhi had witnessed floods last year.
Officials said Dikshit instructed the agencies take specific steps to contain water-logging in 153 vulnerable points. A deadline of June 15 for completing the desilting exercise by the municipal bodies has been set by the Chief Minister.
They said the Chief Minister also ordered the setting up of a high-level committee to chalk out plan for dealing with the problem of congestion in the drainage system.
She also asked the Flood Control department to keep relief material, boats, life jackets, communication systems, food articles and drinking water ready so that necessary help can be provided to the people at the earliest in the event of flood.
The flood control department has also been told to keep in touch with Haryana to know about release of excess water into the river by the neighbouring state.
Officials said a Central Flood Control Room has been set up in Gandhi Nagar in East Delhi which will function round the clock.
They said the Army has been instructed to be ready in case of any eventuality to help the civic authorities.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Beaten by mob in Kolkata, US NRI vows never to return in India
- When will democracy get freedom from dynasty politics?
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- DNA: Has bad time started for American 'media' after Donald Trump became US President?
- DNA: Analyzing the role of Netaji Subhash Chandra Bose in Indian Independence
- WATCH: Epic Staredown between Goldberg, The Undertaker and Brock Lesnar at WWE Raw
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Reliance Jio impact: Bharti Airtel Q3 net profit dips 54% to Rs 503.7 crore