Sheila strips Chauhan of Urban Dept
New Delhi: In a sudden move, Chief Minister
Sheila Dikshit today divested senior Minister Raj Kumar Chauhan of Urban Development Department which has been under
attack for alleged irregularities in distribution of
provisional regularisation certificates to unauthorised colonies.
Revenue and Health and Family Welfare Minister A K Walia
has been given the charge of Urban Development department.
The department of employment, which was with Walia has
been given to Chauhan, who is also in charge of PWD and SC and
ST department, top officials said.
In the second such reshuffle in last eight months, Dikshit
has given additional charge of Parliamentary Affairs and Law
departments to Ramakant Goswami, who is a minister of
Industries, Labour and Elections.
Dikshit had effected a major reshuffle of her Cabinet in
February when then Social Welfare Minister Mangat Ram Singhal
was axed while 67-year-old Ramakant Goswami, a three-time MLA,
was inducted into the council of ministers.
Walia, who was Urban Development Minister then, was
striped of the portfolio and it was given to Chauhan.
Today’s reshuffle came amidst mounting attack on Dikshit`s
government on alleged irregularities in distribution of
provisional regularisation certificates to unauthorised
According to complaint filed before Lokayukta Justice
Manmohan Sarin, provisional regularisation certificates were
issued by Delhi Government to certain non-existent colonies
which do not meet prescribed norms.
The Lokayukta issued notices to Delhi Government last
month seeking a detail report on the issue.
When asked about getting the new portfolio, Walia said
expediting the process of regularisation of unauthorized
colonies would be his top priority.
"I will try to expedite the process for regularisation of
the colonies," he said.
The Government had issued provisional regularisation
certificates to 1,639 unauthorised colonies in 2008 which have
been home to around 40 lakh people who constitute a major vote
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China increases soldiers at Ladakh's Pangong Lake
- Madhya Pradesh: Two women assaulted at railway station for carrying beef
- IIT Kharagpur students design racing car to compete in Russia
- IRCTC to offer Rs 10 lakh insurance cover for Re 1
- Are political parties playing vote politics in the name of cow-security?
- Ranveer Singh's 6-pack abs will give you serious fitness goals! Watch video
- Rio Olympics 2016: Neymar defends his party boy lifestyle
- Mayawati raises assault on Muslim women by vigilantes in Madhya Pradesh
- Volkswagen kicks off deliveries of its first Made in India car Ameo
- Kalam's death has left irreplaceable void: PM Narendra Modi