Sheila strips Chauhan of Urban Dept
New Delhi: In a sudden move, Chief Minister
Sheila Dikshit today divested senior Minister Raj Kumar Chauhan of Urban Development Department which has been under
attack for alleged irregularities in distribution of
provisional regularisation certificates to unauthorised colonies.
Revenue and Health and Family Welfare Minister A K Walia
has been given the charge of Urban Development department.
The department of employment, which was with Walia has
been given to Chauhan, who is also in charge of PWD and SC and
ST department, top officials said.
In the second such reshuffle in last eight months, Dikshit
has given additional charge of Parliamentary Affairs and Law
departments to Ramakant Goswami, who is a minister of
Industries, Labour and Elections.
Dikshit had effected a major reshuffle of her Cabinet in
February when then Social Welfare Minister Mangat Ram Singhal
was axed while 67-year-old Ramakant Goswami, a three-time MLA,
was inducted into the council of ministers.
Walia, who was Urban Development Minister then, was
striped of the portfolio and it was given to Chauhan.
Today’s reshuffle came amidst mounting attack on Dikshit`s
government on alleged irregularities in distribution of
provisional regularisation certificates to unauthorised
According to complaint filed before Lokayukta Justice
Manmohan Sarin, provisional regularisation certificates were
issued by Delhi Government to certain non-existent colonies
which do not meet prescribed norms.
The Lokayukta issued notices to Delhi Government last
month seeking a detail report on the issue.
When asked about getting the new portfolio, Walia said
expediting the process of regularisation of unauthorized
colonies would be his top priority.
"I will try to expedite the process for regularisation of
the colonies," he said.
The Government had issued provisional regularisation
certificates to 1,639 unauthorised colonies in 2008 which have
been home to around 40 lakh people who constitute a major vote
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Importance of viewers' comments and remarks on reported news
- DNA: Has PM Modi's mention of Balochistan during I-Day speech unsettled China?
- DNA: Why commuting by bus in India is an unpleasant experience
- DNA: Elderly couple forced to live separately after 62 years; images go viral
- DNA: Unhappy with stint in Rio, Kim Jong-un announces penalty for North Korean olympians
- Curfew lifted in Kashmir Valley, Rajnath Singh to head all-party team on Sept 4
- ISS astronaut Jeff Williams shares captivating image of the USA's west coast! - See pic
- Govt panel for chilli-filled grenades, stun lac shells as alternatives to pellet guns
- iPhone 7? Apple Inc sends out invite for September 7 'special event'
- John Kerry's cavalcade got stuck in traffic jam caused by heavy rains in New Delhi