Shelter for homeless: HC asks Delhi govt to show policy
New Delhi: Not satisfied with the Delhi government`s efforts in providing shelter to the homeless, the Delhi High Court on Thursday directed it to apprise it about its policy for the roofless and the number of deaths caused due to cold wave.
The directions were passed when the Delhi government informed the court that it has acquired seven unused buses to be used as temporary night shelters and is planning to acquire 20 more buses.
The government also rejected reports that it is concocting the number of night shelters and triplicating them.
"They (Delhi government) are directed to file affidavit indicating the policy of the state regarding permanent facilities which they are going to create for the homeless people and also the immediate steps which they are taking for providing help in emergency situation," a bench of Chief Justice NV Ramana and Justice Rajiv Sahai Endlaw said.
"The Delhi government and the Delhi Police are also directed to file an affidavit about deaths which have taken place along with the post-mortem report, panchnama, if any conducted on the deceased for fixing up the responsibility," it ordered.
The bench was informed by advocate Reena George that the joint apex committee, formed to look into issue of shelter, has not gone into the aspect of police brutality on homeless people.
On this, the bench said, "We direct the convenor of the apex committee to convene a meeting within a period of a week and discuss the issues once again and submit a report."
The Delhi Urban Shelter Improvement Board (DUSIB), which functions under the Delhi government, also submitted an affidavit in the court detailing the minutes of the meetings of the joint apex committee and the steps taken for sheltering the homeless.
"The Blue Line Transport Operators Association has volunteered to give seven unused buses to be used as temporary night shelters by DUSIB. DUSIB has got these buses prepared as night shelters by removal of all seats etc.
"Four of these buses have been stationed at AIIMS, opposite Safdarjung hospital and three buses have been stationed at Sarai Kale Khan bus terminal to provide night shelter to the possible homeless at these sites," the affidavit said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- Pakistan criticizes Defence Minister Parrikar's terrorism remarks