Shiela Dikshit bats for places like Dilli Haat
New Delhi: In order to make Delhi a hub for
arts and artisans, Chief Minister Shiela Dikshit is batting
for more traditional arts and crafts bazaars like the Dilli
Haat that also provides an alternative to malls.
"We dream of Delhi becoming the hub for arts and
artisans," said Chief Minister Shiela Dikshit at the
opening ceremony of the 25th annual Craft Bazaar of Dastkari
Haat Samiti at Dilli Haat here.
"We already have two haats--one here and one in
Pitampura. A third one is coming up in Rohini soon...We will
also have a nature bazaar at the Andheria More which will sell
all natural products," said Dikshit.
To mark the completion of 25 years of Dastkari Haat
Samiti, the organisation has invited representatives from
Kenya, Ethiopia, South Africa, Uganda and Rwanda to
participate in Handcrafting Promises -- a platform to
interact, learn, appreciate and expose themselves to India`s
The External Affairs Ministry is supporting the
"A group of students from the US said they were amazed
how Dilli Haat was providing an alternative to malls. We want
to continue this and provide opportunities to the poor. We
want to make this city a city of haats," said Jaya Jaitly,
president of Dastkari Haat Samiti.
A total of 190 craftspeople from across India are
particioating in the current fair. The Samiti, a national
association of crafts people, was founded in 1986 and has
over 1500 members from all states of India in all craft
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- DNA: Delhi shop owners express their plight through Zee initiative 'My News'
- Watch: Zee Media mega survey on Modi govt- Part 2
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Jharkhand: Firing during Dhanbad municipal elections, many injured
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- First look: Aamir Khan joins Shah Rukh to promote Salman's ‘Bajrangi Bhaijaan’