Shinde orders appointment of woman SI, cops in Delhi police stations
New Delhi: The Home Ministry on Thursday ordered appointment of two woman sub-inspectors and seven woman constables in every police station in Delhi.
Announcing this, Home Minister Sushilkumar Shinde said the Delhi Police will soon launch a special drive for recruiting female constables and officers and appoint more women personnel in police stations to instill confidence among women.
"I have signed the filed for appointing two woman sub-inspectors and seven woman constables in every police station in Delhi," he told reporters here.
The Home Minister`s order comes in the backdrop of public outrage over the gang-rape of a 23-year-old girl in the capital on December 16. The girl died in a hospital in Singapore on December 29.
Delhi has around 166 police stations and police strength of nearly one lakh personnel.
The government has already taken a series of measures for security of women in Delhi and appointed a committee to review the anti-rape law for proving speedier justice and enhanced punishment for criminal involved in sexual assault cases.
It has also appointed a Commission of Inquiry to find out various aspect of the shocking gang rape incident, identify the lapses, if any, on the part of the police or any other authority or person that contributed to the occurrence.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- PM Modi calls meeting to review Indus Waters Treaty today
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB 4G mobile services at 1 GB price