Shivani case: HC notice on parole plea of convict
New Delhi: The Delhi High Court on Wednesday sought a response from the city police on a plea of sole convict in journalist Shivani Bhatnagar murder case that he be granted parole for re-establishing his family contacts.
"Let a status report be filed," Justice Mukta Gupta said
and posted the plea of Pradeep Sharma for hearing on March 14.
The conviction and award of rigorous life imprisonment to
Pradeep Sharma by the lower court was recently upheld by the
High Court which, however, acquitted senior IPS officer Ravi
Kant Sharma and two others in the case.
Seeking parole, his counsel said he had been granted bail
for two months on October 8, 2009.
The convict be allowed to be released on parole for
re-establishing his family and social ties as there was no
allegation that he had earlier breached conditions imposed by
the court, the lawyer said.
The court had acquitted R K Sharma, who once served as
Officer on Special Duty at the PMO, and co-accused Sri Bhagwan
Sharma and Satya Prakash in the case by giving them the
benefit of doubt.
It had, however, upheld the conviction of Pradeep Sharma
for killing Shivani, then working with the Indian Express
newspaper, who was found murdered in her Navkunj Apartment
flat at IP Extension in East Delhi on January 23, 1999.
It had held that though the motive for the crime remained
"unclear" it was established that Pradeep had visited the
victim on the day of the murder.
The lower court had on March 24, 2008, convicted four
persons, including R K Sharma. It had, however, had acquitted
co-accused Ved Prakash Sharma and Ved, alias Kalu, in the
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Sad reality behind the shutting down of the historic Gita Press
- Sonakshi Sinha apologises to Sarabjit, accused in Tilak Nagar case
- Twists and turns: Possible theories about Sheena Bora's murder
- DNA: With new facts emerging, Sheena Bora's murder mystery further deepens
- Sheena Bora murder: Mikhail to be brought to Mumbai for questioning
- Shocking update in Sheena Bora case: Indrani Mukerjea was sexually molested by her father?
- Sheena Bora was introduced to me as aunt: Indrani Mukerjea-Sanjeev Khanna's daughter Vidhie
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder
- A peek into Indrani Mukerjea's past
- Sheena Bora murder case: When Indrani Mukerjea broke down during questioning