Shivani murder: HC junks prosecution`s evidence
New Delhi: While acquitting former IPS
officer R K Sharma and two others in journalist Shivani
Bhatnagar murder case, the Delhi High Court on Wednesday rejected the
most crucial piece of evidence of the prosecution - a mobile
phone call records of co-accused on the basis of which police
had secured their conviction in the trial court.
Nicknamed exhibit PW135/28, the mobile phone call records
of co-accused Shri Bhagwan, who too won his acquittal, was
termed by the bench of justices B D Ahmed and Manmohan Singh,
as an "unrelaible" document "not of high calibre" and
"riddled" with too many loopholes, raising a lot of suspicion
about its authenticity.
The court, in its 84-page judgement, said "we are of the
view that the call detail document is an unreliable document.
We are of the view that exhibit PW135/28 is not a direct
computer printout of the data available in the computers/
servers of the telephone company. The impression we get is
that the data as appearing in the document has been tampered
Questioning the manner in which the month, days and year
were printed in the document, the court said certain details
have been blanked out and others have been introduced.
"The date sequence and the time sequence has been
altered. These are clear indicia of tampering/manipulation. On
the basis of available evidence, we cannot determine as to
which part of the document is authentic and which part isn`t,"
the court said.
The court raised its doubt over the manner in which call
records data of the crucial mobile number 9811008825,
belonging to Shri Bhagwan, was entered in the month, days and
year format in the document.
It was this mobile phone through which Shri Bhagwan was
in constant touch on the fateful days with his nephew and
Pradeep Sharma and other co-accused including R K Sharma at
whose behest he had allegedly asked him to eliminate Shivani.
"An example of the MM/DD/YY format would be 03/10/97,
which would translate to March 10th, 1997. The first entry in
Ex.PW135/28 is of the date ?3/1/99?. First of all, this is not
in the format of MM/DD/YY. Because if it were, then the date
would have read as ?03/01/99? as two digits each have been
prescribed for the month, day and the year," the court said,
pointing out the lacunae in call detail record.
"As per the contents of the said letter, the call details
are for the month of January 1999. The obvious conclusion is
that 3/1/99 refers to 3rd January, 1999. Implying thereby
that the entry 3/1/99 is not in the format (MM/DD/YY) as
indicated at the exhibited document," the court said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachute-like objects spotted over Mumbai airport
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Police registers case after parachute-like objects were spotted over Mumbai airport
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- Arvind Kejriwal's Aam Aadmi Party changes its logo
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Unidentified flying objects spotted over Mumbai airport not motorised: Home Department
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- Militants kill five, target telecoms in Kashmir attacks
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah