Shortage of JNNURM-standard buses: Urban Development Secy
New Delhi: The Urban Development ministry Wednesday complained that manufacturers were lagging behind in providing JNNURM-standard vehicles.
"Mini buses are not available easily or good quality buses in market. We are ready to pay and we don`t get buses. That is the case, even Delhi metro wanted ....Because we said that we will get JNNURM standard buses in terms of floor height, emission norm standards, this it will take one year to supply for the suppliers," Urban Development Secretary Sudhir Krishna said here.
"We are prepared to take off the shelf by paying cash, DMRC is willing to pay cash....Remember I had announced one year before. For one year, we have been struggling and no bus supplier is there to supply. Now, we have scaled down the requirements and 100 buses we will buy whatever is required but even then there is six month`s waiting," he added.
Krishna told reporters here that while vehicle manufactures came out with new models of cars every now and then, he hoped they would also focus more on bus.
Meanwhile, senior officials of UD ministry said that in order to improve the quality of bus transport the ministry had got two numbers which would serve as a helpline for bus services across the country.
"We have got two numbers - 155220 and 155221 - which would serve as helpline numbers across the country for information related to bus travel," a senior UD official said.
Officials said through these numbers, commuters would be able to know the location and schedule of bus transport services.
Krishna said his ministry was in favour of encouraging the Bus Rapid Transit System in the country.
"If the BRTS had been implemented very successfully in Delhi, many people would have left their vehicles at home and used the BRTS. We are in support of BRTS," Krishna said.
The Urban Development Secretary said if the buses move along with the Metro on one side, many more people would use public transport instead of their own vehicles.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Is Corporate Social Responsibility nothing but a marketing gimmick?
- Journalist covering Vyapam scam dies in Madhya Pradesh
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- The inside story of IC-814 hijacking
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- Akshay Singh's death case: MP CM assures fair probe, lambasts Oppn over Vyapam scam
- Chile stun Argentina to win first Copa America crown