Shortlist names for CIC info commissioners: HC
New Delhi: The Centre was on Wednesday asked by the
Delhi High Court to shortlist within a month the names of
possible candidates for filling five out of the ten sanctioned
posts of Information Commissioners in the Central Information Commission, lying vacant since 2009.
A division bench of Acting Chief Justice A K Sikri and
Justice Rajiv Sahai Endlaw directed the Department of
Personnel, which had set up a search panel headed by the
Cabinet Secretary for the purpose, to complete the exercise
and place the shortlisted names before the selection committee
headed by the Prime Minister within a month.
The court`s direction came on a plea by transparency
activist R K Jain who had pointed out that due to want of
requisite number of Information Commissioners in CIC, the
disposal of cases, filed before it under the RTI Act, are
taking more than two years.
The court also directed the government to frame
recruitment rules within a month to enable the CIC to make its
own appointments with regard to the subordinate staff of the
Jain`s counsel Pranav Sachdeva argued before the court
that almost 30,000 cases are pending before the CIC, which
takes years to dispose of a matter.
He argued that as per the RTI Act, information should be
given within 30 days and if the information is delayed, the
purpose of the Act is defeated.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan - Part II
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- RIP Amma: When Jayalalithaa sang one of her favourite songs, that too in Hindi - WATCH