Sibal for better pay package for teachers
New Delhi: Linking school education to the
country`s economic growth, HRD Minister Kapil Sibal on Saturday
pitched for good pay packages for teachers to attract the
Sibal, who has been undertaking a series of reforms of
education, said the sector would witness investments to the
tune of billions of dollars in the next two decades and become
the fastest growing sector in the country.
"What you are doing in schools will directly impact the
GDP of the country... The Growth Enrolment Ratio is presently
12.4 per cent and this should touch 30 per cent," he said here
at a function organised to give away CBSE awards.
Sibal advocated the need for a better deal in terms of
salaries for teachers in states so that they do not quit the
profession in search of greener pastures.
In the past, the government was concerned about the
salary of bureaucrats and others in the service sector, he
said, adding that "in the process, teachers were not given
Pointing out that every state has its own policy, he
said, "At the national level we only guide the state to help
it make policy decisions. CBSE has a much better pay scale
(compared to that offered by state governments)."
Unless states agree to provide adequate financial
security to teachers, they would not get the best brains, he
The awards were given to 12 teachers in recognition of
their service to education.
Quoting a noted management guru, Sibal said at present
220 million students attend schools across the country.
Presently 14 million go to university and this figure has to
go up to 500 million, he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Congress workers blow up pigeons by blasting them inside rockets
- Beef row: Lalu Prasad Yadav contradicts his statements
- Lalu Yadav's son Tejasvi Yadav wants to change the face of Bihar education
- Indian Army 5th deadliest in the world: Report
- Indrani Mukerjea attains consciousness; is now out of danger
- Indrani Mukerjea regains consciousness, out of danger, says hospital
- Is Salman Khan - Aamir Khan friendship over?
- Dadri lynching case: Sadhvi Prachi makes provocative remark, says beef-eaters deserve such fate
- Modi must be punished, he has cheated people: Ram Jethmalani
- Was Giani Zail Singh planning to topple Rajiv Gandhi govt in 1987?