Signaling defect leaves Metro commuters stranded
New Delhi: Tens of hundreds of Metro commuters in the national capital were left stranded Thursday morning due to a signalling defect, an official said.
"The problem is between Pragati Maidan and Mandi House stations. There is a three to four minute delay and we are trying to correct the problem," a Delhi Metro official told reporters.
Trains on the busy Line 3 that connects Noida and Ghaziabad with Dwarka were delayed since 8.30 a.m. as they were running at restricted speeds. The line witnesses a daily footfall of six to seven lakh commuters.
"From the regular speed of 40 km per hour, the trains were running at 25 km per hour," the official added.
Office-goers complained they were stranded during the peak hour.
"I had taken the Metro hoping that it will help me reach faster as there were traffic restrictions due to BRICS summit. But this is taking even more longer," said commuter Mitali Arora going to Barakhamba Road from Rajouri Garden in west Delhi.
"It has been two hours from the usual 40 minute journey. And the trains are packed," Arora said.
Some commuters preferred to get down at the closest station and change the mode of transportation. The peak hour rush added to the commuters` woes.
"After waiting for long, when the train came it was jampacked. So I decided to get down at Rajiv Chowk and take an auto for Mayur Vihar," said Aanchal Sood, who boarded the train from Jhandewalan.
Trains on other Metro lines were running normally, the official said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- DNA: Delhi shop owners express their plight through Zee initiative 'My News'
- Watch: Zee Media mega survey on Modi govt- Part 2
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Jharkhand: Firing during Dhanbad municipal elections, many injured
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- First look: Aamir Khan joins Shah Rukh to promote Salman's ‘Bajrangi Bhaijaan’
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly