Signaling defect leaves Metro commuters stranded
New Delhi: Tens of hundreds of Metro commuters in the national capital were left stranded Thursday morning due to a signalling defect, an official said.
"The problem is between Pragati Maidan and Mandi House stations. There is a three to four minute delay and we are trying to correct the problem," a Delhi Metro official told reporters.
Trains on the busy Line 3 that connects Noida and Ghaziabad with Dwarka were delayed since 8.30 a.m. as they were running at restricted speeds. The line witnesses a daily footfall of six to seven lakh commuters.
"From the regular speed of 40 km per hour, the trains were running at 25 km per hour," the official added.
Office-goers complained they were stranded during the peak hour.
"I had taken the Metro hoping that it will help me reach faster as there were traffic restrictions due to BRICS summit. But this is taking even more longer," said commuter Mitali Arora going to Barakhamba Road from Rajouri Garden in west Delhi.
"It has been two hours from the usual 40 minute journey. And the trains are packed," Arora said.
Some commuters preferred to get down at the closest station and change the mode of transportation. The peak hour rush added to the commuters` woes.
"After waiting for long, when the train came it was jampacked. So I decided to get down at Rajiv Chowk and take an auto for Mayur Vihar," said Aanchal Sood, who boarded the train from Jhandewalan.
Trains on other Metro lines were running normally, the official said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof