Signaling defect leaves Metro commuters stranded
New Delhi: Tens of hundreds of Metro commuters in the national capital were left stranded Thursday morning due to a signalling defect, an official said.
"The problem is between Pragati Maidan and Mandi House stations. There is a three to four minute delay and we are trying to correct the problem," a Delhi Metro official told reporters.
Trains on the busy Line 3 that connects Noida and Ghaziabad with Dwarka were delayed since 8.30 a.m. as they were running at restricted speeds. The line witnesses a daily footfall of six to seven lakh commuters.
"From the regular speed of 40 km per hour, the trains were running at 25 km per hour," the official added.
Office-goers complained they were stranded during the peak hour.
"I had taken the Metro hoping that it will help me reach faster as there were traffic restrictions due to BRICS summit. But this is taking even more longer," said commuter Mitali Arora going to Barakhamba Road from Rajouri Garden in west Delhi.
"It has been two hours from the usual 40 minute journey. And the trains are packed," Arora said.
Some commuters preferred to get down at the closest station and change the mode of transportation. The peak hour rush added to the commuters` woes.
"After waiting for long, when the train came it was jampacked. So I decided to get down at Rajiv Chowk and take an auto for Mayur Vihar," said Aanchal Sood, who boarded the train from Jhandewalan.
Trains on other Metro lines were running normally, the official said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Outrage over Tanmay Bhatt's video mocking Lata Mangeshkar, Sachin Tendulkar
- VHP's women wing Durga Vahini gives arms training to children!
- Heavy rain disrupts flight operations in Delhi
- MP: Liquor mafia attacks police, journalists with weapons
- Attack on African nationals: Gen VK Singh slammed for his statement
- Khalistan terror camp running in Canada to attack Punjab; Justin Trudeau govt alerted
- Barack Obama could be Hillary's secret weapon in rallying Democratic support: Report
- Man arrested for trying to sell stolen car on e-commerce site
- Shocking! In Madhya Pradesh, child dies after given nitrous oxide instead of oxygen
- Hot alert! Katrina Kaif oozes sex appeal on the cover of Vogue India – See Pic