Signaling defect leaves Metro commuters stranded
New Delhi: Tens of hundreds of Metro commuters in the national capital were left stranded Thursday morning due to a signalling defect, an official said.
"The problem is between Pragati Maidan and Mandi House stations. There is a three to four minute delay and we are trying to correct the problem," a Delhi Metro official told reporters.
Trains on the busy Line 3 that connects Noida and Ghaziabad with Dwarka were delayed since 8.30 a.m. as they were running at restricted speeds. The line witnesses a daily footfall of six to seven lakh commuters.
"From the regular speed of 40 km per hour, the trains were running at 25 km per hour," the official added.
Office-goers complained they were stranded during the peak hour.
"I had taken the Metro hoping that it will help me reach faster as there were traffic restrictions due to BRICS summit. But this is taking even more longer," said commuter Mitali Arora going to Barakhamba Road from Rajouri Garden in west Delhi.
"It has been two hours from the usual 40 minute journey. And the trains are packed," Arora said.
Some commuters preferred to get down at the closest station and change the mode of transportation. The peak hour rush added to the commuters` woes.
"After waiting for long, when the train came it was jampacked. So I decided to get down at Rajiv Chowk and take an auto for Mayur Vihar," said Aanchal Sood, who boarded the train from Jhandewalan.
Trains on other Metro lines were running normally, the official said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Watch: Reports on final deal of M-777 tanks between India and America
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video
- Gujarat man who disclosed Rs 14,000 crore unaccounted wealth goes missing
- Rahul Dravid heaps praise on Virat Kohli, R Ashwin; calls duo modern cricket legends