Sikhs protest over proposed amendment to Delhi Sikh Gurudwara Act
New Delhi: Members of the Shiromani Akali Dal (SAD) protested in New Delhi on Saturday against the Congress party over their proposed amendments to the Delhi Sikh Gurudwara Act of 1971, terming it as interference into the religious matters of the Sikhs.
The amendments will increase the tenure of the Delhi Sikh Gurudwara Management Committee (DSGMC) house from two years to four years and make way for direct election to the post of the DGMSC president, instead of being elected by the majority.
The Sikh protesters gathered on the streets of New Delhi on Saturday, carrying black flags and placards.
The president of the Delhi unit of SAD, Manjit Singh GK, said the Supreme Court has directed to hold elections before December 31 this year and by postponing the elections, the Congress is trying to murder the democratic system.
“We have assembled because it is a direct interference into the religious matters of the Sikhs by Congress, they way it did in 1980`s and the country had to suffer for its wrong doings. Similarly, the Supreme Court had ordered elections (Delhi Sikh Gurudwara Management Committee house elections) to take place before December 31 and now Congress is trying to stall the democratic process ordered by Supreme Court.”
“The elections have already delayed by two years. Now, our demand is that don`t try to interfere in the religious matters of the Sikhs. Let the democratic system prevail. They are trying to murder the democratic system. We will not let that happen and today we have come outside Sonia Gandhi`s residence to wake her up and tell her not to follow the lines of Indira Gandhi, otherwise it would be disastrous for the Congress,” said Manjit Singh.
The protesters gathered in huge numbers and shouted anti-government slogans and asked the party to stay out of their religious matters.
Protesters said the Congress is trying to gain control over the Sikh temples and Sikh religion.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- To Sir with Love: School kids pay tribute to Dr Kalam
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- When UN declared Dr APJ Abdul Kalam's 79th birthday as World Students' Day
- Ready to see Shah Rukh-Salman together on-screen?
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral: Why Rameswaram was chosen over New Delhi?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened
- New SC bench to hear 1993 Mumbai bomb blasts convict Yakub Memon's plea on Wednesday