Sikhs protest over proposed amendment to Delhi Sikh Gurudwara Act
New Delhi: Members of the Shiromani Akali Dal (SAD) protested in New Delhi on Saturday against the Congress party over their proposed amendments to the Delhi Sikh Gurudwara Act of 1971, terming it as interference into the religious matters of the Sikhs.
The amendments will increase the tenure of the Delhi Sikh Gurudwara Management Committee (DSGMC) house from two years to four years and make way for direct election to the post of the DGMSC president, instead of being elected by the majority.
The Sikh protesters gathered on the streets of New Delhi on Saturday, carrying black flags and placards.
The president of the Delhi unit of SAD, Manjit Singh GK, said the Supreme Court has directed to hold elections before December 31 this year and by postponing the elections, the Congress is trying to murder the democratic system.
“We have assembled because it is a direct interference into the religious matters of the Sikhs by Congress, they way it did in 1980`s and the country had to suffer for its wrong doings. Similarly, the Supreme Court had ordered elections (Delhi Sikh Gurudwara Management Committee house elections) to take place before December 31 and now Congress is trying to stall the democratic process ordered by Supreme Court.”
“The elections have already delayed by two years. Now, our demand is that don`t try to interfere in the religious matters of the Sikhs. Let the democratic system prevail. They are trying to murder the democratic system. We will not let that happen and today we have come outside Sonia Gandhi`s residence to wake her up and tell her not to follow the lines of Indira Gandhi, otherwise it would be disastrous for the Congress,” said Manjit Singh.
The protesters gathered in huge numbers and shouted anti-government slogans and asked the party to stay out of their religious matters.
Protesters said the Congress is trying to gain control over the Sikh temples and Sikh religion.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know