Singapore hospital treating gang-rape victim not new to Indians
Singapore: Singapore`s Mount Elizabeth Hospital, where the 23-year-old Delhi gang-rape victim was rushed to Thursday morning, has seen prominent Indians like superstar Rajinikant and politician Amar Singh knock at its doors for specialised treatment.
The hospital is renowned for kidney and heart transplants and receives patients from across the globe because of its state-of-the-art facilities for highly-complicated surgeries.
The paramedical student, who was gang-raped and brutally assaulted by six men in a moving bus in the heart of Delhi on December 16, was moved to this super specialty hospital from Delhi`s Safdarjung Hospital.
Doctors in India had removed major part of the victim`s intestine and advised air-lifting her to this hospital because of the specialised treatment that the institution offers for patients who need multi-organ transplant.
South Indian superstar Rajinikant was admitted to the hospital for almost a month in the summer of 2011 after doctors at a Chennai hospital advised shifting him to Singapore for specialised treatment.
Besides a kidney-related ailment, the 62-year-old actor was treated for respiratory infection and other problems.
Two years back, the hospital was in news in India when Amar Singh was admitted to the institution for a kidney transplant.
Singh also spent over three weeks at the hospital in 2009.
The hospital, which has 345 beds, performs the largest number of cardiac surgeries and neuro-surgeries in the private sector in Southeast Asia.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- See what can Maggi do to your health!
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- CBSE 12th Results 2015: CBSE Board Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic class 12th XII board exam Results 2015 date announced
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- Video of cops dancing with woman goes viral, inquiry ordered
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- Jayalalithaa returns as Tamil Nadu CM: As it happened